VMware Cloud Community
wayneoakley-msi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

can i have 2 x vdp appliances backing up the same guests??

being a bit paranoid about backups and really liking VDP i am wondering if having 2 appliances backing up the same guests would be ok.

i would of course stagger the time of backups to not overlap.

as i understand the process, from vmworld 2013 presentation, it is not using CBT but rather its own tracking to determine if a block has changed, so it would be independent of others that are running.

this would seem to say if you had two running well separated you could have at least 2 doing all the guests and thus be better protected by having two copies in two different storage locations.

any comments??

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
dhanarajramesh
Jump to solution

No issue, Each vCenter Server can support up to 10 VDP appliances.Each VDP appliance supports backup for up to 100 virtual machines. Only 1 VDP appliance can exist per ESXi/ESX host. so  make sure you have installed those appliance in different host.  and more over for same vm guest,  schedule the backup in different time do not do it in the same time because once the backup completed the vdp would delete all the snapshots of the vm guest. so there is more chances of another backup snapshot deletiona and backup failure.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
dhanarajramesh
Jump to solution

No issue, Each vCenter Server can support up to 10 VDP appliances.Each VDP appliance supports backup for up to 100 virtual machines. Only 1 VDP appliance can exist per ESXi/ESX host. so  make sure you have installed those appliance in different host.  and more over for same vm guest,  schedule the backup in different time do not do it in the same time because once the backup completed the vdp would delete all the snapshots of the vm guest. so there is more chances of another backup snapshot deletiona and backup failure.

wayneoakley-msi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

good to hear thanks.

i will give it a try

here is another part to idea of double the backups, could vsphere replication replicate the vdp appliance to another site, subject to the rpo of course.  it might be convenient to replicate the vdp appliances rather than the individual virtual machines, as for one thing i would expect it end result to be far smaller, just take longer to start recovery if using the replica.

0 Kudos