VMware Cloud Community
techmen8080
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

backup to Dell 1850 Powerdege?

I am provisioning a new VMware certified server from Aberdeen Inc.

However, I have no storage server to backup the VMs.

So I am thinking of using my old Dell 1850.

1) I am wondering if I replace the old drives on the dell with

3 identical 500 GB drives that reflect the new server set up, will I be

able to easily backup given both machines will have the same VMFS

volumes. ?

2) I am also wondering if a few of the VMs from the new machine

with 32GB memory and 2 quad core CPUs would be able to run on the old

8GB dell if need be or does the hosts machines have to have the dame

hardware.?

Thanks to anyone who has time to answer, Techmen

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
KBuchanan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

If you add more memory, you "may" be able to re-purpose the Dell for an HA...BUT...if you need to be sure that you don't oversubscribe the resources!! I.e., if you have VMs on the new server and each of them are configured with 4 CPUs - will the "old" system be able to provide enough CPU cycles to support those VMs?

FT is awesome, but I doubt that you could re-purpose the "old" system if there is significant hw difference. I would only recommend same (or very similar) hw configurations for FT.

So - you may could use the Dell system as a backup target. I have read that VMware 'accidentally' allowed the remote console to use read/write commands (in 3.5i update 3). I also know for a fact that VMware has stated they will 'fix' the console to be read only. I'm not an expert with ESXi, but you will have less options for remote access and backup operations than you will have for the licensed version.

Above all things - TEST IT!! That's my best advice!

Kevin

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
KBuchanan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

If I read your post correctly, you are wondering what you can do with the 1850...right?

Your posting needs more detail about your environment. You didn't mention - but what version of VMware are you running? (ESXi free version, or a licenced version??) What type of backend storage as you using? (or are the guest running locally?)

I have to assume from your post, that you are only running 1 VM Host server. My first recommendation is to ALWAYS run at least 2 Host servers so that you can have HA or FT. If the budget doesn't allow for that, then I suggestion the following:

Download Openfiler () and install that on the 1850. You can use Openfiler as a "easy to manage" NFS server. Install the 500GB drives in this server and use it for a network disk backup target.

In reference to your 2nd question, I would say that 8G isn't sufficient to run as a ESX host. you may could do it "technically", but if your primary HOST has 32GB of RAM, you probably aren't going to be able to run all apps on that 1850 server. Which takes me back to the first question I asked...you are looking for sugestions to re-purpose the 1850, right? In which case - use it for a backup target.

techmen8080
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

This is just the type of answer I was looking for thanks.

As you guessed, right now I plan only have the free version of esxi running on the one host. However, I will need some backup solution.

From what you wrote about HA & FT, I am thinking I could upgrade the ram to 32 on the Dell and then run it as a second esxi host that could mirror the primary. That way I could have a backup and some of the advantages of two hosts. I would likely have to purchase a lic. I am assuming that the Virtual Center would some how treat the two hosts as one datacenter and manage the two quad core Xeon cpus and the old Dell cpu as a single resource.

It seems from your message you would suggest that before simply using it as a backup target.

I am thinking correctly here or is the Dell 1850 too old to be repurposed in this way.

Thanks again for taking the time to respond.

0 Kudos
KBuchanan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

If you add more memory, you "may" be able to re-purpose the Dell for an HA...BUT...if you need to be sure that you don't oversubscribe the resources!! I.e., if you have VMs on the new server and each of them are configured with 4 CPUs - will the "old" system be able to provide enough CPU cycles to support those VMs?

FT is awesome, but I doubt that you could re-purpose the "old" system if there is significant hw difference. I would only recommend same (or very similar) hw configurations for FT.

So - you may could use the Dell system as a backup target. I have read that VMware 'accidentally' allowed the remote console to use read/write commands (in 3.5i update 3). I also know for a fact that VMware has stated they will 'fix' the console to be read only. I'm not an expert with ESXi, but you will have less options for remote access and backup operations than you will have for the licensed version.

Above all things - TEST IT!! That's my best advice!

Kevin

0 Kudos
TimPhillips
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I wouldn`t you recommend to use OpenFiler, in all other I`m agree.

KBuchanan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

If you are using ESXi (free version), then I assume that they don't have a tiered storage SAN for backups. If so, then obviously, it would be a better approach to write to a tier-3 storage that is replicated to another data center with geographic separation...and copy it to tape if you need off-site storage.

But - if someone is using the "free version" VMware, I doubt they have a tiered storage solution either.

Openfiler is free and reliable. BUT...it is just that. You get what you pay for!

A reliable backup solution is better than nothing at all. But - if he is running a backup solution and ESXi hosts in the same rack, there is no environmental protection, or sabotage mitigation!

Ultimately, he needs to decided "how valuable" is the data/systems being protected and use appropriate measures.

Kevin

0 Kudos
LucasAlbers
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Why would you not reccomend openfiler?

0 Kudos
KBuchanan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I've been using OF for 2 years as a 3rd tier storage for disks backups.

One OF is a primary backup destination, and we replicate to a 2nd OF (in a remote data center) with 'rsync'.

OF is easy to manage, but their documentation is VERY weak.

0 Kudos
TimPhillips
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

My experience of work with OF was very dissapointment - yes it`s it easy to use, but has big functions limitations, additionally to pure documentation, and more, more and more...

0 Kudos
KBuchanan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

As always, I'll concede that every entity - regardless of the solution they choose - needs to test the solution END TO END to ensure that the solution meets their data recovery requirements.

In my case, OF did work for a specific purpose. It may not work for everyone - but, we spent several weeks (literally) validating the design.

It is complete foolishness to install (any) system without proper due-diligence testing.

Kevin

0 Kudos
techmen8080
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you all for giving your views. I will look into OF and make sure to test and validate what ever solutions I come up with.

Techmen

0 Kudos