VMware Cloud Community
vm-au-user
Contributor
Contributor

another task is already in progress

We have using CA Arcserve and VCB to perform the backup of VM's

Recently i've noticed that some VM's are no longer reporting performance data in the "Performance" Tab of VCenter.

Furthering digging, show the account used to perform the backup snapshots is causing an an error "Another task is already in progress"

I suspect one of back jobs has been cancelled and the snapshot 'clean up'process that arcserve uses has left the VM in some state....other than normal.

What steps can I take to fix this error...i've tried rebooting the VM but this don't fix the issue.

Tags (2)
6 Replies
rootdude
Contributor
Contributor

BUMP! I'm having this issue as well. I need to shut down the Data Recovery VM (because I'm not going to use it any longer), but I can't power the VM off or suspend it - all I can do is restart it.

0 Kudos
marcelo_soares
Champion
Champion

Try this:

http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1004790

Marcelo Soares

VMWare Certified Professional 310/410

Technical Support Engineer

Globant Argentina

Consider awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers.

Marcelo Soares
rootdude
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks - but I've seen you answer questions similar to mine with this response (I searched the forums for answers first like any good forum participant would do) - and it is not relevant to my problem.

0 Kudos
marcelo_soares
Champion
Champion

Your choice. With THIS answer I've never replied. Also, the KB is very clear and, sorry, I have already resolved the same problem as you with it.

Marcelo Soares

VMWare Certified Professional 310/410

Technical Support Engineer

Globant Argentina

Consider awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers.

Marcelo Soares
0 Kudos
serbanteodoresc
Contributor
Contributor

It appears that the sudden delays and timeouts occur sometimes due to a glitch in mgmt-vmware service.

I had a backup problem (couldnt create snapshot) - the message was "another task is already in progress" but NO task was really in progress.

I tried to even shut down the virtual machine and nothing worked.

I noticed that's not the only machine with this kind of problems, and all machines with problems had in common that they run on a particular esx host.

The solution (found all around the internet through alot of blogs) is:

a) connect to esx host (ssh / putty)

b) stop mgmt-vmware service -> service mgmt-vmware stop (your esx host will look "disconected" from virtual center... dont panic)

c) wait at least 15 seconds

d) start mgmt-vmware service -> service mgmt-vmware start

d) recconect the esx host in vcenter

This worked for me.

Hope it will work for others too.

PS: Dont panic, the machines that run on that esx host will not be affected.

0 Kudos
JDMils
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I was using one ISO connected to two VMs and it seems I created a contention between the two servers and they both started running really slow. I was able to recover one server but the other I could not- I tried to Power it down, reset it, and kept getting the error above.

I tried restarting the Virtual Centre & Management network but that did nothing. I put the host in Maintenance mode, and was left with the one problematic server which stopped the host from going to the next step. It was here I reset the server via iLO/DRAC and when it rebooted I found the problematic server restarted on the next host.

All is good now!

| +-- JDMils | +-- ESXi 4.1.0, clustered hosts, HA, DRS & VMotion enabled. |
0 Kudos