VMware Cloud Community
Pannikin
Contributor
Contributor

Why backup job and integrity check collide??

Hi everybody

I'm a new member here Smiley Happy.

I've just upgraded VDP to 5.5 and found some strange things. The VDP running with integrity check during backup window. Backup job and integrity check collide.  After that I often face the crash problem. Status of core service has changed to “Unrecoverable” . I must rollback to recovery point and lost some backup. Something's wrong?

I have run manual integrity check during backup window, but at that time no any backup job running. Is this the cause of the problem?

Thanks in advance

Pannikin

0 Kudos
6 Replies
snekkalapudi
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Running manual integrity check in backup window should not cause any problems. I have run it dozen of times without an issue.

I have never noticed VDP running automatic integrity check in backup window. Looks strange.

Did you created any backup job earlier and then edited the backup window settings ?

Check your backup job schedule, if it is falling during the maintenance window.

You might have already checked..but just a double check.

-Suresh
0 Kudos
Pannikin
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

thanks for your suggestion. I've never found backup failure during maintenance window.  Currently, I'm backup VM manually during backup window. I'm monitor activity from Vsphere Client console and then found integrity check process being started . I have to immediately cancel it.

This is capture screen

aa.JPG

bb.JPG

0 Kudos
snekkalapudi
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

You are right. The screenshots gave me a clue. All I can say is..

-If you observe the same behavior consistently,  you need to raise a Service Request.  Ideally integrity check should not happen during backup window. Checkpoint should trigger only during maintenance window.

-If the behavior is not recursive, you do not have to worry much.

-Suresh
0 Kudos
Pannikin
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

It's running everyday same time (backup window) but not doing at a maintenance time :smileyconfused:

First one, I suspect time zone config but I try re-checking, I think it's correct.

Do you have any idea? Should I open SR?

0 Kudos
snekkalapudi
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I would recommend to open a SR.

-Suresh
0 Kudos
grace27
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi

Welcome to the communities.

If problem resolved then no need to open SR

I will suggest to wait for 2\3 day wiat for other colleges feedback and suggestion .

What I am suggesting let disable that service and check if having any problem .

" The worst enemy to creativity is self-doubt.
0 Kudos