VMware Cloud Community
Raudi
Expert
Expert

We can’t make quiesced VMware Snapshots on a VM with Exchange 2010 in a RDM LUN

Hallo,

first i must say, that we don't need a backup of the Exchange 2010 enviroment, this will be taken with NetApp SnapManager for Exchange.

But the OS VMDK files are on a NFS Datastore and this should be backed up by SnapManager VI.

But if i try to create a quiesced Snapshot of the VM i got this errors:

Das Gastbetriebssystem hat während der Stilllegung einen Fehler gemeldet. Der Fehlercode lautet: 5 Die Fehlermeldung lautet: 'VssSyncStart' operation failed: IDispatch error #8454 (0x80042306)

Das Gastbetriebssystem hat während der Stilllegung einen Fehler gemeldet. Der Fehlercode lautet: 3 Die Fehlermeldung lautet: Quiesce operation aborted

Das Gastbetriebssystem hat während der Stilllegung einen Fehler gemeldet. Der Fehlercode lautet: 3 Die Fehlermeldung lautet: Error when notifying the sync provider.

After i tryed to make a SnapShot i got this result in „vssadmin list writers“

Writer name: 'Microsoft Exchange Replica Writer'

Writer Id: {76fe1ac4-15f7-4bcd-987e-8e1acb462fb7}

Writer Instance Id: {a07f7d02-edb2-45a4-aa62-b1360f6067cd}

State: [8] Failed

Last error: Retryable error

Writer name: 'Microsoft Exchange Writer'

Writer Id: {76fe1ac4-15f7-4bcd-987e-8e1acb462fb7}

Writer Instance Id: {4e8c2d55-eaa5-4d63-b680-2763f4a95366}

State: [8] Failed

Last error: Retryable error

And some other writers are reorting a timeout.

We tryed already to exclude the Exchange VSS Writers from the VMware Tools like described in the KB article: http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1007696

But this didn’t work perhaps because we have ESXi 5.0 and the article is only up to ESXi 4.1.

Is there a way to get a quiesced VMware Snapshot only from the operating system?

Best regards

Stefan

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Raudi
Expert
Expert

I got it, excluding of the Exchange vss writer is working. After i started my testing enviroment again all was working, so it seems that only restarting the VMware tools service is not enough.

I need only to create a file "vmbackup.conf" with the following lines:

Microsoft Exchange Replica Writer

Microsoft Exchange Writer

Like described in this KB article: http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1031200 The KB article in my last post was wrong...

Best regards

Stefan

0 Kudos