VMware Cloud Community
kaesarybr
Contributor
Contributor

Vsphere data protection - installation don't finish

Hello

I am having troubles with the installation of a VDP in "Replication Tarjet mode" and ask for help about it.

The asistant finish with ok all the tests and restart de VM but after that, in VCenter the task still at 70%. I have waited for a day and nothing changes.

pastedImage_7.png

When I try to access to VMIP:8543/vdp-configure/, the assistant starts again. If I try to refill all the steps (it remembers all the configuration), I cant pass the point that ask for "Create Storage".

pastedImage_4.png

The av_log file shows this.

pastedImage_0.png

And the status.dpn command, this

pastedImage_1.png

Has anyone idea about this and how to solve it?

Thaks and sorry for my english.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
9 Replies
berndweyand
Expert
Expert

even the newest VDP 6.1 is EOL - so you better switch to another Backup/Replication solution

0 Kudos
kaesarybr
Contributor
Contributor

Well, it's another solution but, these days, and having runing ok the principal VDP, I'd like to configure this one as a second backup.

0 Kudos
berndweyand
Expert
Expert

here are some hints: vdp-configure error message "cannot proceed because the appliance already has attached storage"

which version of vcenter do you have ? VDP isnt also supported with 6.7, max. is 6.5

0 Kudos
kaesarybr
Contributor
Contributor

Hi bewe,

The versions are:

- Vsphere Web Client Versión 6.5.0 Compilación 4602587 and the

- VDP 6.1.

- VMware ESXi, 6.5.0, 4564106

Reading the post you send me, I have verified that there isn't a duplicity IP and restarted de VM and the NAS. Nothing changes.

Regards

0 Kudos
berndweyand
Expert
Expert

then try:

power down

remove vmdk (except the first with 200gb)

restart

then the wizard guides you through the steps

0 Kudos
kaesarybr
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I tried it last time and the VM couldn't boot.

pastedImage_0.png

I am thinking that maybe I am wrong with the installation at this point.

pastedImage_1.png

I want just a replication of the backup, not a replication of the all environment. So, have I to choose VDP (and from the principal VDP replicate to this second VM) or a VDP Replication target.

The idea is if the first backup fails (nas) I can recover the VMs from the other NAS with the replication.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
kaesarybr
Contributor
Contributor

I edited fstab, removed lines refering to the backup vmdk, and reboot. The VM stopped at the same point, 70% and same error.

0 Kudos
berndweyand
Expert
Expert

yes - looks like vdp knows about the old data-vmdk. i would start from scratch and deploy a new one

0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership

If you want a replica, why not use vSphere Replication instead? That is what it was designed for,

0 Kudos