VMware Cloud Community
ozgurkkisa
Contributor
Contributor

Vsphere + Bladecenter S + HS22 + IBM ts3200 SAS

Hi guys,

I have an infrastructure like this :

IBM Blade HS 20-21-22 blade servers on a Bladecenter s Chassis. Qlogic Sas switch and a IBM TS 3200 Library ( 3580 TL series). All of my blade servers are ESX 4, and of course vcenter 4 server installed.

The Ts 3200 library connected to chassis through SAS interface ( Addtionaly, library has a Fibre Channel controller, bladecenter has no fc switch Smiley Sad )

One of my VMs as installed as a backup server. Added a large vmdk ( 1 TB ). and formatted into VMs windows as a ntfs volume.. I use veeam to backup other vms. It works perfectly.

But veeam cannot backup to library. Veeam backup other VMs to large vmdk.

Problem is here : I want to use ts3200 for backup Veeam's backup files to cartridge. I was add a scsi device to vm as IBM Tape device. Windows can see Library, but cannot use it.

Problem is here !! I cant use ibm library. Either device freezes and vm stops responding ( into windows ), or can see and install driver but doesnt work.

I tried to symantec backup exec to write data to cardtridge. Symantec drivers are ok but, in symantec backup exec, i cant see library.. Screenshot is below.

I know, this may very complex question.But i need to backup to tape..

There are 3 screen shot :

1. normal physical server.

2. virtual machine

3. vm scsi conf

Guys, any suggestions ?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
CyranoBS
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

the TS-library is only supported with BladeCenter S SAS RAID Module. It's not suported to use this library from a virtual machine. Not from IBM side and not from VMware. May be you'll come online with your library in your VM - but you'll receive positioning errors during your backup. The virtual SCSI or SAS-controllers in your VM will not transport the SCSI commands "pass thru" to your library.This will not work. You have to set up an dedicated backup machine with a windows system to backup your systems. You can use VMware VDDK. It's a fine solution!

cyranoBS

0 Kudos
Lakshmi_Gayatri
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I do not know if this library comes with a media changer, if it does,then you should configure it as well.

The below KB is a bit old one, but should help you

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=100002...

Thanks

LG

0 Kudos
terranus
Contributor
Contributor

Try this solution from Symantec:
"How To configure a tape device with a virtual machine in ESX 4.0 and ESX 4.1" (http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH146293)

and this:

"How to properly configure a VMWare ESX virtual machine to use tape devices which are connected to the host server via SCSI Passthrough" (http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH70246)

0 Kudos
MrSmithGTW
Contributor
Contributor

I have almost your exact configuration, I had the Neo 200s sas attached tape library, I had to move the backup server to a physical blade to get it to work.

Plus there are advantages to having a physical backup server.

0 Kudos