VMware Cloud Community
puppet1
Contributor
Contributor

Vsphere 4.0 with Dell TL2000 issue

I have a Poweredge 2950 that was running ESX3.5 with a VM of Windows Server 2008 running on it. I was running Symantec Backup Exec 12.0 SP3. I had a Dell Powervault TL2000 LTO4 drive attached to the host server via SCSI. Backups were controlled from the BE server to backup the data. NO VCB. We migrated to another PE2950 running VSphere 4.0 move the riser card and SCSI to the new server. Now, when I run a backup job. The job goes into a queued state and it will pull a tape out of the library and put it in the drive, run it for about 30 secs. Pull the tape out of the drive and back into the library. It will grab another tape and repeat. I deleted the VM and build a brand new one from scratch. Same results. I then did a fresh install of BE 12.5 with all the latest service packs and hotfixes. Same issue. I was wondering if anyone has seen this with Vsphere 4.0. I have contacted Symantec, Dell, and VMWare, everyone is clueless at this point. Any ideas?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Paul11
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Maybe I'm totaly wrong, cause I don't know your software. But have you deactivated the Removeable Storage Manager in Windows? This part of software does the same thing in my environment with Networker software without deactivating the Service "Removeable Storage" in Windows.

Paul

0 Kudos
puppet1
Contributor
Contributor

I should have been a little more specific on the version of Windows Server 2008 I am running. I am running R2 which doesn't have that included in the standard install. But thanks for the feedback any way. It was worth a shot.

0 Kudos
sossie7
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I've had a similar issue but with a DEll (IBM) LTO4 SAS tape drive. This is a new install. Spec's:

Dell 2950 running Vsphere 4.0

Dell SAS HBA -SAS 5/E HBA Card (scsi - non raid)

Dell/IBM LTO4 SAS drive

Windows 2008 64 bit VM

Symantec BackupExec12.5 SP2 with all hot fixes.

Tape drive passed through to Win2008 VM

Backup runs for about 30 seconds then fails with:

0xe00084ee - An invalid command was sent to the storage device

I believe my problem is because the tape drive is addressed via lun rather than a scsi ID as per this doc:

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=1000024&sl... 0 30678449

Don't know if this setup will work on 3.5?

Simon.

0 Kudos