VMware Cloud Community
Jazsko
Contributor
Contributor

Vmware backup, recovery, disaster recovery and replication

Hi All the Experts

I have a huge question as you can see from the topic...

I'm looking for a solution "design" that will improve my uptime to almost 100%.

This is how it's set up today. On one location we have 3 ESXi hosts running 4.1. We have to Equallogic boxes ps4000, one with SAS and one with SATA disks. We are currently running VMware data recovery as a backup solution.

As the system is building up, and we are expending, it is also required for more uptime, and more stable systems. So we thought about replication and backup to an offsite. What would be the best solution here?

Our requirment is, IF our primary location should burn down, or some other crazy stuff, we would be able to be up and running in a couple of hours.

My question; what should we use to accomplish this. Today we have standard license in VMware, will we need to upgrade? Additinoal equallogic box would be required with additional ESXi servers, that much we know Any software recommendations that will be able to do the job? is it possible that the equipment recognizes the downtime, and pulls everything online on the other location? Any other ideas about the design or configuration?

Thx

0 Kudos
2 Replies
AlexsYB
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Wow, this basically the question i was going to ask. Except I have a PS6010 SAN box.

I am currently using VDR with 2 attached vmdk's, one local and remote. But my concern is I might need both vmdk's if I was ever to do a restore.

So I have a job defined to back to local and it includes savers A,B,C, i have another job defined to backup to remote disk and it backups servers A,B,C

But i have a feeling I need both sets of disks to do a full restore...

0 Kudos
Jazsko
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, again Smiley Happy

I've done some testing..

On another location, at a  customer, we are using Veeam backup and replication... This seemed to work very nice. Replication works, evebn thogh it takes time to transfer huge .vmdk files, but it works...

Only question here is, how will continues replication work. Does it replicate maschines all the time, what is the latancy. How could it be set up sp it doesnt strangle the bandwith where VM's work..?

Anyone that uses Veeam in a way like this?

0 Kudos