VMware Cloud Community
vmman45
Contributor
Contributor

Vmware Data Recovery Idle Network Usage

vcenter and the virtual machines that are being backed up are in different locations.

I have the vdr appliance installed on a host where the vms are being backed up.

During Idle usage there is a steady stream of network bandwith incoming from vcenter to the vdr appliance, about 800 kbs.

Is this normal?  If not any recommendations on how to stop the network bandwith?

Thanks

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Sharany
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I have the same problem. We have one VirtualCenter Server in our main location. In the main location and in 4 further locations we have installed a vmware data recovery appliance.

Now we have a heavy traffic (https) from our VirtalCenetr server into the the external locations. The traffic is stabil over the whole day and has a quantity about 5GB for every location (= 20 GB for all !!!). No backup job is activ !

I hope, I will get an answer here, because this situation is not acceptable for us.

Thanks to all for helping.

Best regards

Sharany

0 Kudos
herritzc
Contributor
Contributor

We are having the same issue.  We have about 200KBS going across the Wan.  Have you found any solutions?

Thanks,

Carla

0 Kudos
Sharany
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

since a few weeks we have a open ticket at VMware, but not really with succes.

One of the last answer from the support was:

The response from my senior network engineer is as follows:
"Can't see anything wrong here.

There will always be traffic between VC and the ESX hosts. VDR will  increase that traffic. Cannot see any issue in the wireshark files --  just normal traffic. If the link is getting swamped, you will need to  increase the bandwidth available."

... not really satisfying and not a solution !

Best regards

Sharany

0 Kudos
herritzc
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the response. It is frustrating that it takes that much bandwidth.

0 Kudos