VMware Cloud Community
anthonyaudi
Contributor
Contributor

Veeam backup speed

Hello everyone,

I have a question that I know the answer is related to some kind of change in Windows OS or in the Veeam settings but I can't remember it for the life of me.

I have an environment with 3 servers

I have 3 VMs along with Veeam on the same server all shared via iSCSi on a NAS

My backups are super slow, between 10 and 30mbps.

I remember having this issue previously on my old Veeam server but that server is since dead and I cannot go back to view the old settings. 

I remember I had this issue when I had first set up Veeam on the old server and I had made some kind of change either to Veeam or via a registry change in Windows that instantly made my backups super fast. I don't remember even having to reboot the machine. 

Nothing changed in my environment and I don't believe that I added a backup proxy since I've always run Veeam from 1 virtual machine. Both times the VM was a server 2019. 

Does anyone have any insight on what I can do to make the backups run quicker, or any idea what I'm talking about?

It's been 27 hours and my first backup of 3.6TB is still running at 90%. 

Thanks in advance for reading this!

0 Kudos
7 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

@anthonyaudi 

Perhaps this would be a good place to ask? https://forums.veeam.com

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
NathanosBlightc
Commander
Commander

Hi,

If you have vCenter server in your virtual environment, please read about the vSphere SIOC feature, maybe help you understand how to share & limit IOPS for your VMs. BTW it seems you have a high IOPS beside a poor storage capability (I mean there is not enough resource for your storage and I/O requirements)

Please mark my comment as the Correct Answer if this solution resolved your problem
0 Kudos
anthonyaudi
Contributor
Contributor

I don't believe that to be the issue (I posted this in the veeam community but it got disapproved because I don't have a case ID. However, every other post does not have a case ID so I'm not really sure what is going on there)

I basically wrote the same thing but I also added that my incremental backups worked at 176M/Sec

I'm not sure that this is an issue with high IOPS because prior to redoing the server everything went perfectly fine. In fact, I used to have to remove the old backups for space issues in order to make new restore points which meant I had to redo the backups from scratch and they always were very quick. The only difference I see now versus the previous setup was in the new setup Veeam selected to the use VM as the gateway whereas in the old setup it was set to use an automatic gateway. I have since changed that but there is no difference. I don't know if I have to reboot the server or do anything in order to make it work but if I do that I am going to be running off an ungraceful shutdown and it will just make things slower. 

I quite confused by what is going on considering nothing changed in the environment. 

0 Kudos
anthonyaudi
Contributor
Contributor

Hello again,

I cannot post in the veeam forums. So I'm requesting the help of the VM Ware people here.

I am at wits end on this. I have a new server, Veeam is installed. 9.4 latest patch. When I run a backup I get 10-30MBPS.

On the old server, exactly the same configuration, I get 200mbps. I went as far as to put the virtual machine that has Veeam installed on the same datastore as where the virtual machine backups are taking. It makes no difference. I updated my SAN, rebooted it, nothing I do can make the speed faster. 

I checked the settings on the old Veeam vs the new Veeam they are identical. I remember when I first installed Veeam I had a very similar issue and I remember something had to be done (but I can't remember if it was on the virtual machine where veeam was installed or on veeam) that instantly made the speeds go higher.

I'm really in need of some help here I don't know what is going on and my backups can't take anymore since they take forever to complete.

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
Lalegre
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hello @anthonyaudi,

There are a lot of factors to thin about when backup speed comes in places as you will need to analyze where the traffic is flowing:

• Which transport mode are you using?
  • Is the backup proxy role in the Veeam Server?
  • Is the Veeam Server in the same network as the destination VMs?
  • What are you using as repository protocol?
  • What are the speeds you have on your Physical NICs and switches?

I do not recall a registry key that will make your backups faster but of course there are a lot of different registry for different purposes.

0 Kudos
anthonyaudi
Contributor
Contributor

Hello, thank you for answering!

• Which transport mode are you using? <-- The transport mode was set both to HotAdd and CTB neither have a performance difference.
  • Is the backup proxy role in the Veeam Server? <--Yes it is the only backup proxy available. It is set to automatic selection
  • Is the Veeam Server in the same network as the destination VMs? <-- The Veeam server is in the same network. It's not part of the domain but it is in the same network. There is a second virtual NIC that points to a different network to access the NAS. This is how it was set before, should I put the NAS on the same network as the VMs?
  • What are you using as repository protocol? <-- I'm using 2. One is CIFS and the other is presented to the host from a NAS as a hard drive. I created a LUN and then I created a VMDK which I attached to the Virtual machine. Both the virtual machine and the LUN VMDK live on the same SAN. 
  • What are the speeds you have on your Physical NICs and switches? <--1GB links everywhere, there speeds everywhere in the network are completely normal.

I do not recall a registry key that will make your backups faster but of course there are a lot of different registry for different purposes.

0 Kudos
Lalegre
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hey Anthony,

Thanks for replying all the questions.

Basically I was asking all of that because the backup speed can change depending from where the traffic is going. In your case as you are using Virtual Appliance mode, Veeam is accessing the source datastore by using VMware SCSi HotAdd which mounts the VMDK into the proxy and in your case I presume you are using a NFS Datastore which means all the flow is over IP.

It is not needed to have the repository on the same network as the VMs as what is important is from where the copying of the data is going from the proxy to the repository and in your case is happening over the same Physical NICs.

As you are using Multi-Home for the backup server, is your additional NIC for accesing the NAS on the same L2 or is in another  network? I am asking this because if it is on another network then the traffic could be going over the primary interface probably by routing and that could impact the backup performance.

Lastly, when the backup happens, do you see Read/Write latency on the Veeam VM? What is the bottle that you see on the Backup Job?

0 Kudos