VMware Cloud Community
Moorsmal
Contributor
Contributor

Vcenter backup options

Hi All,

Bit of background, we have 6 sites, all connected by 100MB fibre with one Vcenter server in the head office.  For resilience we purchased another vcenter server license (standard) but have done nothing with it yet.

We use Veeam to backup and replicate our VMs so in the event of our head office being off-line I could spin up the vcenter replica at another site and be ok? In theory?

We don't have an external DB it is all installed on one windows box and with vmware 6 I might migrate to the appliance anyway.  This to me seems like a simple DR practice - replicate via Veeam, connect to the host with the replica in an emergency and spin up the replica vcenter server and crack on!

Looking at the FT options and vmware HA recommendations, especially with vmware 6 and PSC with server/sql clustering just seems like overkill for a small setup like ourselves.   Does my scenario seem ok to you?   How do you protect your vcenter server?

TIA

Stuart

1 Reply
krish290785
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi

You might want to run two vcenters at two different locations considering one PROD and the Other DR. Replicate the Head Office VMs to the other site using the Veam Replication. Veam can do an  incremental replication using the CBT which is really saving your bandwidth. During the failover from PROD to DR, you can simple poweron the VMs at the DR Site. Howeve, you might want to reach out to the network guys to discuss on how to utilize the same IP's in the DR without having to re-configure. Regarding the storage and the Hypervisor/VM part, everything should be seamless.

-Bala Krishna Gali If the above info is useful, please mark answer as correct or helpful.