VMware Cloud Community
dolmundo
Contributor
Contributor

VMware Data Recovery

I have a Main Office that has a 15 VM's running on a clustered Vsphere enviroment. I have VMware Data Recovery that backs up all VM's to a shared storage, I will be moving the snapshots that where backed up with VMware Data Recovery appliance and move it to my remote location that resides on a diferent subnet.

My question is how can I restore those snapshoots on a diferent subnet and get them to work without changing the subnet on that location.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
habibalby
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hello,

You cannot restore snapshot of VMs unless you have the orginal VMDK file. But, since you are in vSphere enviornment and you are using vDR as your Backup solution and you have a Replication method. Best is to dedicate one LUN for the vDR as VMDK Deduplication Store. Then, while vDR is switched-off, replicate this LUN to your remote site, mount it to the vDR at the remote location, run check integrity and if it's success then you can restore the backed up VMs in your remote site.

Best Regards,

Hussain Al Sayed

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

Best Regards, Hussain Al Sayed Consider awarding points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
dolmundo
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, I understand that much. That is exacly what I'm running right now, my question is how do I restore my VM's on a diferent subnet and still allow the to be reached in case of a disaster on my main location.

Thanks

Sent from my HTC smartphone

0 Kudos
AndreTheGiant
Immortal
Immortal

My question is how can I restore those snapshoots on a diferent subnet and get them to work without changing the subnet on that location.

This is a big problem.

You have to reconfigure the network setting of the VMs.

Or recreate the same network (in the DR site).

Andre

Andrew | http://about.me/amauro | http://vinfrastructure.it/ | @Andrea_Mauro
0 Kudos
habibalby
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hello,

Make sure you are maintaining the same PortGroup Names in both location. The outbound / Uplink connectivity doesn't matter.

Production PortGroup in HQ the same has to be in the DR / Remote Site

DMZ PortGroup in HQ the same has to be in the DR / Remote Site.

I'm maintaining the same portgroup structure and i don't have a problem. Doesn't necessary has to be the same subnet or another subnet.

Best Regards,

Hussain Al Sayed

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

Best Regards, Hussain Al Sayed Consider awarding points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
malaysiavm
Expert
Expert

Your problem here is pure networking issue. Just same like the SRM does, either you force to change the IP and subnet of the VM, or you need to ensure that the IP range and subnet are visible and accessible in the 2nd location you mentioned. You should get the nework folks to help you on this, can be done for sure

Craig

vExpert 2009

Malaysia VMware Communities -

Craig vExpert 2009 & 2010 Netapp NCIE, NCDA 8.0.1 Malaysia VMware Communities - http://www.malaysiavm.com
0 Kudos
dolmundo
Contributor
Contributor

Is there a network community at vmware communities that can help me?

That is the part i need help with.

Thanks

0 Kudos
habibalby
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

VMware vSphere vNetwork Community

Best Regards,

Hussain Al Sayed

0 Kudos