VMware Cloud Community
derrickonline
Contributor
Contributor

VMware Data Recovery (adding second disk) formatting? Will it delete all contents on disk??

Running ESX 4.1 and vSphere.  Running Vmware Data Recovery.  I have the following question:

After installing Vmware Data Recovery to the LOCAL datastore (I thought it would be smart to backup all my VMs residing on a NAS) to local datastore since there's so much space going to waste in case the NAS failed.

By the way I have several redundant backup solutions in place, I just wanted to try this one out.

So when I finish installing the OVF and the when I go to configure the backup destination, I first added a second hard disk to my data recoveryOVF/VM.  That second hard disk is the same disk (local datastore) where ESX resides.  When I select my backup destination it says UNMOUNTED

It says I either need to FORMAT or MOUNT it.  /sdb.   When I mount it, nothing happens.  I think I need to format it.  Here's my concern.  When I hit format is it going to format the entire LOCAL datastore disk?  Or just the folder where I'm creating my backup destination?  Are these folders seen as partitions, or do I risk totally screwing up my ESX box if I hit format??

I'd rather be safe than sorry.  It's a holiday week and the last thing I need is to be stuck in the office on Christmas weekend!  Smiley Happy   Thank you.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Welcome to the Community,

don't worry, there are still some days before Christmas. Enough time to fix everything ...:smileylaugh:

That second hard disk is the same disk (local datastore) where ESX resides

How did you attach the additional disk? I assume you created a new virtual disk in the VDR VM's settings and attached it to e.g. SCSI 0:1. In this case it is save to format the disk from within the VM, because it is just another virtual disk (vmdk file) residing in the VDR's folder.

André

0 Kudos
derrickonline
Contributor
Contributor

"you still have time to fix everything before Christmas".  Tell my wife that.  Smiley Happy

Thank you for the information.  Yes, the 2nd hard disk is attached as you described.  And I added it as you described.  I didn't store the disk in the same folder as the VM for VDR.  But it's on the same ACTUAL disk, but I wanted to make sure it acts as a different partition since that local datastore also houses ESX.  Whenever I hear/see "FORMAT DRIVE" I freak out.

Thank you for the quick response.

0 Kudos