VMware Cloud Community
Rennes
Contributor
Contributor

VMware Data Recovery FLR not working in a Ubuntu 8.04 64-bit guest

Hello to everyone,

I have managed to use FLR in Windows and in 32-bit Linux VM, but I can't make it work under Ubuntu 8.04 64-bit, which is a supported guest OS, as we can read in[http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vdr_12_admin.pdf] page 32.

Everytime I launch it, I get :

root@xxxxxx:~/VMwareRestoreClient# ./VdrFileRestore

ERROR: FUSE version 2.5 and above is required.

As I tried to dig into this issue, I noticed the following info in thz same doc : "In Linux virtual machines, the FLR client requires the 32-bit version of FUSE 2.5 or later. Note that for Linux, the 32-bit version is required, regardless of whether the virtual machine being used is 32-bit or 64-bit."

I think it might be the point, so I'm wondering : how do I figure which version (32-bit or 64-bit) of FUSE is installed (if any -the is no package named fuse in ubuntu 8.04), and how do I install the 32-bit version if the 64-bit version is installed ?

Thanks for any idea !

Nicolas

0 Kudos
5 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Try this:

$ sudo apt-get install sshfs

$ sudo adduser fuse

(log out and. back in so that it recognizes you as a member of the group "fuse")

0 Kudos
Rennes
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

Thanks for your idea, but it doesn't work.

0 Kudos
Rennes
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

I received the following answer from VMware Technical Support (I had to insist a little, since at the beginning they wrote me it was not their business) :

-

Here are the answers to your questions and the steps to install the 32-bit version of the fuse packages:

* How to figure out what architecture an installed package has:
        dpkg -s <package name>

Example: dpkg -s libfuse2
        # There's a line which says "Architecture:"

* Check whether the packages "fuse-utils", "libfuse2" and "ia32-lib" (32-bit compatibility libraries) are installed
        dpkg -l "**fuse**"

dpkg -l ia32-libs
        # Now you should see "fuse-utils", "libfuse2" and "ia32-libs"

# Short description of the first column:
                        # First character "i" means the package is marked for installation; "r" means it's marked for removal

# Second character "i" means the package is successfully installed, "c" means that configuration files are present
                        # Further information: 

# If there is no "fuse-utils" and no "libfuse2", that's ok because we're going to install the 32-bit versions anyway

# In case there is no "ia32-libs", install it using: sudo apt-get install ia32-libs
* Get the 32-bit versions of "fuse-utils" and "libfuse2" from [http://packages.ubuntu.com/search?keywords=fuse&searchon=names&suite=hardy&section=all]
        # Links to the required packages

# 
                # 

# Download them using the following commands:

wget 
                wget 

# The downloaded packages are in the location in which you executed the "wget" command

* Install "libfuse2" first and then "fuse-utils"
        sudo dpkg --force-architecture -i <.deb file name>

Example: sudo dpkg --force-architecture -i libfuse2_2.7.2-1ubuntu2.1_i386.deb
        # The "--force-architecture"-flag is important, so you can install a 32-bit package on your 64-bit system; dpkg might print a warning message that the package you're installing is 32-bit although your system is 64-bit

-

It actually worked !

0 Kudos
chakrit
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Rennes,

Thanks very much. It does actually work! I've tested this on ubuntu 10.04 server 64 bits with VDR 1.2.

0 Kudos
roadfox
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the instructions!

0 Kudos