VMware Cloud Community
NSITPS
Contributor
Contributor

VMware Data Recovery Appliance

Hi - Does anyone know how to get hold of this? I can not find it on the Virtual Appliance market place

0 Kudos
6 Replies
ionut19
Contributor
Contributor

0 Kudos
NSITPS
Contributor
Contributor

Many thanks...

0 Kudos
KBuchanan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Nael: I, and many others, have tested VDR and not had good success. I suggest your test it THOROUGHLY and CONCURRENTLY with your existing backup solution. Do NOT rely on VDR as your sole backup solution until you have completed thorough testing over a multi-week (or month) time period.

VDR has a extremely promising feature set - simple, easy to configure, and - it includes de-duplication! BUT...TEST, TEST, TEST, TEST. Don't say, you haven't been warned! Don't be lulled into complacency with it!

0 Kudos
NSITPS
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the advise.

What problems should I be aware of?

0 Kudos
KBuchanan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Just browse through the community forum (http://communities.vmware.com/community/vmtn/vsphere/datarecovery-vcb) and read the posts. I suspect if you install VDR, it will run fine for a week (give or take). Then, the integrity check will not complete, or will fail. Backups will either be skipped, or will completely hang. VDR (as an appliance) will freeze and you'll have to force a power cycle to reboot it. Datastores will become corrupt (I never personally seen this, but there are many reports of corrupt restore points - even in the VDR release notes!

Do your homework - don't just download VDR and expect it to be the "be-all end-all" backup solution. If it works for you - great! If it doesn't, you'll join many others that have tried it and eventually decided to stop using it for now. Don't forget - it is a v1.0 product. It is new, unproven, and according to the community forums - suspectible to reliability issues.

Don't say I didn't warn you! You need to test it and determine for yourself. BUT - if are are smart, you wouldn't rely on it as the only backup solution for your images!

0 Kudos
NSITPS
Contributor
Contributor

Sounds like trouble - Maybe best to wait until the next version!

0 Kudos