VMware Cloud Community
CRad14
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

VMware Client Error with VDR plugin installed

Error in Client.JPG

I originally just uninstalled the client and reinstalled it, didn't fix the issue.

Then I uninstalled client and all plugins and started installing them one by one, until I found the vdr plugin is the one causing this issue. To confirm I uninstalled vdr plugin...no error......reinstalled vdr plugin....error.

Versions:

VDR 2.0

vCenter Server 4.1

VMware Client 4.1

Has anyone seen this before? I haven't really been able to find to much from searching...

Conrad www.vnoob.com | @vNoob | If I or anyone else is helpful to you make sure you mark their posts as such! 🙂
Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
slmpptc
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I've heard back from support:  This is a known bug and a patch is being worked on.  Currently there's no workaround for this issue (other than uninstalling the plug in).

Cheers,

Sean

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
13 Replies
RParker
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Conrad wrote:

16627_16627.JPGError in Client.JPG

I originally just uninstalled the client and reinstalled it, didn't fix the issue.

Then I uninstalled client and all plugins and started installing them one by one, until I found the vdr plugin is the one causing this issue. To confirm I uninstalled vdr plugin...no error......reinstalled vdr plugin....error.

Versions:

VDR 2.0

vCenter Server 4.1

VMware Client 4.1

Has anyone seen this before? I haven't really been able to find to much from searching...

To clarify this isn't a VM Ware issue, yes it's VM software, but something in your configuration isn't working.  If it were a VM Ware issue then everyone would be experiencing the same problem.

I suggest you get a good registry scanner / fix program because this really looks like a registry corruption issue.  The software works, your configuration is messed up to the point where the software can't install properly.

0 Kudos
CRad14
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

RP, Sorry, I wasn't suggesting that the software is defective or that it is VMware fault. I couldn't find any info about this so I know it isn't a widespread issue... I am just trying to get assistance for an issue I am experiencing with the vdr plugin.

Having said that, I tried your suggestion:

I uninstalled the VDR plugin

Ran CCleaner

Reinstalled

-Same Issue

Uninstalled both VDR plugin and vmware client

Reboot

Ran CCleaner

Reboot

Reinstalled Both VDR plugin and vmware client

-Same Issue

Any other ideas or suggestions? Anyone?

EDIT: Just realized that this issue is just occuring at the cluster level or higher. If I try to sort on a host level or lower it seems to work fine....Obviously though I would like it to always work if possible

Conrad www.vnoob.com | @vNoob | If I or anyone else is helpful to you make sure you mark their posts as such! 🙂
0 Kudos
satya1
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Conrad wrote:

16627_16627.JPGError in Client.JPG

Versions:

VDR 2.0

vCenter Server 4.1

VMware Client 4.1

you got error after installing plugin ?

http://imagicon.info/cat/5-59/vbsmile.png

0 Kudos
CRad14
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Correct, and when I uninstall the plugin I no longer get the error.

0 Kudos
slmpptc
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

CRad,

I'm having the same problem as you and have opened a case with support.  I'll post an update once I find out more.

Cheers,

Sean

0 Kudos
ian4563
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Yes I'm having exactly the same problem.  VDR 2 plugin installed on 4.1 client gives me the same sorting error.  I'm guessing we need the 5.0 client for the plugin to work correctly.

0 Kudos
CRad14
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Maybe, but it does say it is compatible with 4.1....

0 Kudos
slmpptc
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I've heard back from support:  This is a known bug and a patch is being worked on.  Currently there's no workaround for this issue (other than uninstalling the plug in).

Cheers,

Sean

0 Kudos
CRad14
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Awesome Thanks Sean. I knew I wasn't crazy!

0 Kudos
greedj1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VC Error.JPG

If you have the Virtual Center Client 4.1 installed with the VDR 2.0 you get this search error.

If you then install Virtual Center Client 5.0 (Do not uninstall anything), the problem goes away.

0 Kudos
Mautje
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I also have this issue.

I noticed that it will generate the error as soon as the inventory window is scrollable.

Verry funny because you would use the order/search functionality when you've got a lot of items in order to find the right one.

I'm downloading the 5.0 Client to see if it's fixed

0 Kudos
Mautje
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

It does solve the issue...

The viclient log contains the detailed errors but it's above my understanding to check where it goes wrong.

I don't think is has anything to do with the part containing: "HTTP port not received yet" because I also see that particular message in the log file when the plugin is removed.

This is the faulty log but since the issue has been solved by installing the version 5 client I don't expect to see a hotfix except if other issues will surface when using client 5 with vCenter4.1

[viclient:QuickInf:P:13] 2012-02-13 11:02:06.162  Thread No:13 ProcessQueryServiceRequest WebException: Response was null
[viclient:QuickInf:P:13] 2012-02-13 11:02:06.168  Thread No:13 QueryService: Start GetResponse().
[viclient:QuickInf:P:13] 2012-02-13 11:02:06.177  Thread No:13 QueryService: End GetResponse().
[viclient:QuickInf:P:13] 2012-02-13 11:02:06.177  Login by SSPI is completed successfully.
[viclient:QuickInf:P:13] 2012-02-13 11:02:06.183  Thread No:13 QueryService: Start GetResponse().
[viclient:QuickInf:P:13] 2012-02-13 11:02:06.224  Thread No:13 QueryService: End GetResponse().
[viclient:Error   :M: 6] 2012-02-13 11:02:06.248  System.MissingMethodException: Method not found: 'VMware.VimServices.Search.ResultItem[] VMware.VimServices.Search.ResultsPage.get_Results()'.
   at VMware.VimServices.Search.Impl.Utils.NewEmptyResultsPage(Results results, Int32 pageNumber)
   at VMware.VimServices.Search.ResultsImpl.RetrievePage(Nullable`1 pageNumber)
   at VMware.VimServices.Search.FilterOrderObjectSetProviderImpl`1.GetObjectSet()
   at VirtualInfrastructure.ObjectSetPoller`1.DoPoll()
[        :ShowErr :M: 6] 2012-02-13 11:02:06.255  Error: Method not found: 'VMware.VimServices.Search.ResultItem[] VMware.VimServices.Search.ResultsPage.get_Results()'.
Stack Trace:
   at VirtualInfrastructure.Utils.Log.Trace(String, String, TraceType)
   at VpxClientCommon.Util.Dialogs.Trace(String, String, String, TraceType)
   at VpxClientCommon.Util.Dialogs.ShowError(IWin32Window, String, String)
   at VpxClientCommon.ListViewData.OnDisplayMessage()
   at VMware.CustomControls.ListViewEx.DoDisplayMessage()
   at VMware.CustomControls.ListViewEx.WndProc(Message&)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Application.Run()
[viclient:QuickInf:P:13] 2012-02-13 11:02:12.462  Executing the search query (#2):
      declare function local:getDescendants($docs, $type) {
        for $parent in $docs
        for $child in /doc[xhive:fts(inventoryPath/string, $parent/@id) and @type=$type]
        return $child
      };

let $clusterSet := /doc[@type="ClusterComputeResource" and @id="domain-c15" and @sourceId="C66C2158-13EA-4CCB-8AEC-42615414E9A3"]
let $clusterVmSet := local:getDescendants($clusterSet, "VirtualMachine")
let $targetSet := $clusterVmSet
for $target in $targetSet
  return <item type="{data($target/@type)}" id="{data($target/@id)}" sourceId="{data($target/@sourceId)}"><name_>{data($target/summary/config/name)}</name_>  <entityId>{data($target/@id)}</entityId> </item>
[viclient:QuickInf:P:13] 2012-02-13 11:02:12.472  Thread No:13 QueryService: Start GetResponse().
[viclient:QuickInf:P:13] 2012-02-13 11:02:12.508  Thread No:13 QueryService: End GetResponse().
[viclient:Error   :M: 6] 2012-02-13 11:02:12.513  System.MissingMethodException: Method not found: 'VMware.VimServices.Search.ResultItem[] VMware.VimServices.Search.ResultsPage.get_Results()'.
   at VMware.VimServices.Search.Impl.Utils.NewEmptyResultsPage(Results results, Int32 pageNumber)
   at VMware.VimServices.Search.ResultsImpl.RetrievePage(Nullable`1 pageNumber)
   at VMware.VimServices.Search.FilterOrderObjectSetProviderImpl`1.GetObjectSet()
   at VirtualInfrastructure.ObjectSetPoller`1.DoPoll()
[        :ShowErr :M: 6] 2012-02-13 11:02:12.515  Error: Method not found: 'VMware.VimServices.Search.ResultItem[] VMware.VimServices.Search.ResultsPage.get_Results()'.
Stack Trace:
   at VirtualInfrastructure.Utils.Log.Trace(String, String, TraceType)
   at VpxClientCommon.Util.Dialogs.Trace(String, String, String, TraceType)
   at VpxClientCommon.Util.Dialogs.ShowError(IWin32Window, String, String)
   at VpxClientCommon.ListViewData.OnDisplayMessage()
   at VMware.CustomControls.ListViewEx.DoDisplayMessage()
   at VMware.CustomControls.ListViewEx.WndProc(Message&)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Application.Run()
[Update M:QuickInf:P: 3] 2012-02-13 11:03:01.955  HTTP port not received yet. Will call GetHttpPort().
[        :Failed t:P: 3] 2012-02-13 11:03:02.009  System.Net.WebException: The remote server returned an error: (501) Not Implemented.
Server stack trace:
   at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.GetResponse()
Exception rethrown at [0]:
   at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.GetResponse()
   at VirtualInfrastructure.Utils.WebDownload.GetResponse()
[viclient:QuickInf:P: 3] 2012-02-13 11:03:03.950  HTTP port not received yet. Will call GetHttpPort().
[viclient:SoapTran:P: 3] 2012-02-13 11:03:03.952  Invoke 168 Start Vmomi.Core.PropertyCollector.RetrieveContents(ProxyService:ProxyService [vcenter]::Vmomi.ProxyService.httpPort) on PropertyCollector:propertyCollector [vcenter]. [operationID:FF13B485-000000A8][Caller: VirtualInfrastructure.PropertyRetriever.InvokePropertyGet]
[viclient:SrvMsg  :P: 3] 2012-02-13 11:03:03.954  RMI Request Vmomi.Core.PropertyCollector.RetrieveContents - 168
<specSet>
  <item type="Vmomi.Core.PropertyCollector+FilterSpec">
    <PropSet>
      <item type="Vmomi.Core.PropertyCollector+PropertySpec">
        <Type>Vmomi.ProxyService</Type>
        <All>False</All>
        <PathSet>
          <item>Vmomi.ProxyService.httpPort</item>
        </PathSet>
      </item>
    </PropSet>
    <ObjectSet>
      <item type="Vmomi.Core.PropertyCollector+ObjectSpec">
        <Obj type="ManagedObject">ProxyService:ProxyService [vcenter]</Obj>
        <Skip>False</Skip>
      </item>
    </ObjectSet>
  </item>
</specSet>
0 Kudos
slmpptc
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

greedj1's workaround also resolved the problem for me.

Sean

0 Kudos