VMware Cloud Community
seedorf
Contributor
Contributor

VMs Backup solution

Hello Forum,
We are designing a new platforme for our messaging system composed of:
2 Physical servers that will hosts ESXi. The mail server VM will be hosted on the 2 ESXi and will use VMotion to eliminate downtime by migrating VMs between hosts.
1 Shared FC storage array Dell PVMD3600f.
Will order an Essentials Kit to manage the plateforme.
We have also an iSCSI iOmega storage server that we plan to use to store daily backup of all VMs files.
My question is, what is the best solution for us to be able to take a daily complete backup of VMs files to the iOmega server and be able to restore it in case of the FC Torage Array fail?
Thank you
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
aravinds3107
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

You can go for VMware Data Recovery(VDR) option for backup solution but you need essential plus kit for using it.

You have mentioned using vMotion inorder to use that you have to essential plus kit not essential kit

http://www.vmware.com/products/datacenter-virtualization/vsphere/small-business/compare-kits.html

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful |Blog: http://aravindsivaraman.com/ | Twitter : ss_aravind
0 Kudos
seedorf
Contributor
Contributor

Ahh, the Plus kit is too expensive for me Smiley Sad

I have a question that may be crazy for you: it is possible to create a VM with duplicated datastore destination?

I mean, can i create a VM on my ESXi and tel to VMWare to store VM files on both my Dell FC datastore and iOmega iSCSI Datastore simultaniously? It will allow us to have 2 copies of the VM files?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
petedr
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

VMware Site Recovery Manager give the ability for a Standby VM. As for backup solutions there are a number of good ones out there but there is a cost for each if cost is concern.

Pete

--------

www.thevirtualheadline.com

www.liquidwarelabs.com

www.thevirtualheadline.com www.liquidwarelabs.com
0 Kudos