VMware Cloud Community
bri9man
Contributor
Contributor

VMWare Data Recovery, Novell Netware, and VMware Tools

Folks:

We are implementing VMware data recovery on vSphere 4.1. When attempting to use the VMware Data Recovery Plug-in to backup a Novell Netware server we get "Cannot create a quiesced snapshot becauwse the (user-supplied) custom prefreeze script in the virtual machine exited with a nonzero return code"

I did some google research and it appears that the VMware tools for Netware do not support this feature. As I am migrating in January to Microsoft I would be willing to live with non-quiesced backups of the NSS volumes on Netware. Regular snapshots from VMware client work fine.

So the question is, how do make the Appliances ignore this error and forcea snapshot anyway in order to replicate it to my backup storage?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
steveh000
Contributor
Contributor

Any help with this would be appreciated, am dealing with the exact same issue

0 Kudos
PPCis
Contributor
Contributor

The problem you are describing is caused by the VMWare tools that install with VSphere 4.01. You will find that you cannot create a quiesced manual snapshot either. When I encountered this problem I opened a support incident with VMware. They sent me a copy of the previous version of VMWare tools. In downgraded the version ov VMWare tools on my Netware servers and then everything worked as expected.

Jim

bri9man
Contributor
Contributor

Are the old tools available for download?  I will try this and report back.

0 Kudos
Marcj1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Not sure if it will work since it is a Netware VM and not Windows, but you could try adding  disk.EnableUUID=false to the Configuration Parameters.  With the VM powered off, edit settings, go to the Options tab and select General under Advanced.  Then, click the Configuration Parameters button on the right, and if it is not already there click Add Row and enter "disk.EnableUUID" (no quotes) in the Name column and "false" (no quotes) for the Value.

bri9man
Contributor
Contributor

We have migrated away from Novell Netware.  That fixed it!

0 Kudos
glowle
Contributor
Contributor

Alternatively, if you do not have the luxury of moving away from NetWare, and you are running your NetWare VMs on vSphere 4.1 hosts, follow this KB, works a treat

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=102974...

0 Kudos
Ace007
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Exactly,, also you can downlod the 4.0 verson of vmtools for Novel VM from below attachment.

Thanks.

0 Kudos