VMware Cloud Community
Giroevolver
Contributor
Contributor

VMFS Mounted to Windows Server 2008

Hi Guys,

Just a quick question about VMFS and windows server 2008. I am currently building a new Netbackup server to server as our VCB proxy which is running windows 2008. I have done the usual or running automount disable and scrub but when I mount a test VMFS volume it is showing as an offline Health Primary partition.

Does anyone know if this is normal?

When I mount this volume on to my 2003 proxy it shows as a health unknown partition as I have always led to beleive it should be.

I have attached a screenshot of my 2008 server disk management

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal

Hello.

There were changes to Windows 2008 that may be responsible. There was a discussion not too long ago about this behavior as well.

Good Luck!

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
0 Kudos
bktbo
Contributor
Contributor

*update* Solved by runnig script as admin. Server 2008 UAC was to blame. VMware support did not know this. Smiley Sad Oh well. It is fixed!

I posted the comment below at the thread mentioned. I have the same issue with how disks show in disk management. VMware support says I need to resolve this (make the disks appear as they do in Server 2003) before attempting VCB on Server 2008. Smiley Sad

Crosspost:

Has anyone had Server 2008 work as a VCB proxy?

I've been working on a case with vmware where my new VCB proxy will not backup vm's. I am using simple scripts with vcbmounter. This is the same setup I've used the last three years on a Server 2003 VCB proxy. The new proxy is Server 2008 (not R2). VCB setup does say that 2008 support is "experiemental" but I want to keep Server 2008 as it is part of our overall strategy.

What we found is that the old 2003 proxy shows the LUNs as Healthy (Unknown Parition) while Server 2008 shows them as Healthy (Primary Partition). Automount is disabled. I have not changed 2008's behavior of putting disks "online" as the reading I did said I don't need to adjust this.

Anyway vmware says I need to get the LUNS to show as Healthy (Unknown Parition) and to that end; reinstall VCB and represent. I don't have much faith in that but I'll give it a try.

I'll post back here if I get it to work. What is odd is one machine did back up but that is the only one. I did some experiments with backing up vm's that are on the same LUN; different LUNS, Hosts, etc...

0 Kudos