VMware Cloud Community
brian_c
Contributor
Contributor

VM backup to network share

Hello all,

I am putting in a small vSphere 5.1 environment and am looking for some advice about backups. I've been asked to backup the guests to disk on a weekly basis. The disk in question is a removable Teralyte which is taken off-site for DR purposes. Now, I've looked at vSphere Data Protection but it doesn't appear to be the right tool for the job because the backups reside in the appliance datastore and I can't see any way of getting them out onto the Teralyte. I've looked at Veeam zip (free!) but you can't schedule it.

So does anyone know what tool I can use to dump the guest backups onto a network share which can then be backed up by Arcserve? (Like the VCB days, I suppose.)

Many thanks

Brian

0 Kudos
4 Replies
sparrowangelste
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

ghettovcb

--------------------- Sparrowangelstechnology : Vmware lover http://sparrowangelstechnology.blogspot.com
0 Kudos
Josh26
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

brian_c wrote:

So does anyone know what tool I can use to dump the guest backups onto a network share which can then be backed up by Arcserve? (Like the VCB days, I suppose.)

Many thanks

Brian

Can Arcserve itself not backup VM snapshots to disk?

0 Kudos
brian_c
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you both for your answers...We haven't got the license for CA to backup VMs. So I had a play with ghettoVCB today and have got it working but it is very slow to NFS.

If I want to speed it up then it would probably be faster to our iSCSI SAN. So let's say I want to schedule ghettoVCB to back up all guests on an ESX to a volume on our SAN. Would anyone have any idea how I could present the destination volume to ESX AND arcserve so that ghetto can do its thing and then arcserve can put it on our Teralyte?

Starting to think that Arcserve licenses might be easiest but if anyone has any ideas they would be welcome!!

Thanks

Brian

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

In case you are using Essentials or Essentials Plus licenses, you may take a look at Veeam's Essentials kits.

André

0 Kudos