VMware Cloud Community
zenomorph
Contributor
Contributor

VM CPU ready time and ESX host CPU ready time

Hi Team,

I've been searching the net for info. on CPU ready time on ESX host, I'm already aware for VM's the recommended is 5% CPU ready time anything higher than that the VM would is performing quite poorly.

But what I want to know is ESX host ready such that I can measure at host level the CPU's are over committed resulting in insufficient CPU resource allocation for the VM's but I haven't managed to find any specifics - can anyone shed some light on this or point me in the right direction Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
1 Reply
rh5592
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi,

I believe the metrics to check for CPU overcommitment is the "load average" value in esxtop. From the KB:

Examine the load average on the first line of the command output.
A load average of 1.00 means that the ESXi/ESX Server machine’s physical CPUs are fully utilized, and a load average of 0.5 means that they are half utilized. A load average of 2.00 means that the system as a whole is overloaded.

Regards. ================================================= "If found useful, kindly mark answers Correct or Helpful " http://rh5592.com =================================================
0 Kudos