VMware Cloud Community
TerryWood92101
Contributor
Contributor

VM Backup review

Hi. I am trying to find independent information/reviews regarding Symantec's Backup Exec 2010 Agent for VMware Virtual Infrastructures as compared to Veeam or VDR.

I'm currently doing PoC testing on Veeam, and so far things look great. However, I will have to update my Backup Exec media server anyway to 2010 to perform granular Exchange, SQL, and AD restores.

Trying to compare only image level restores (Veeam and Symantec 2010 Agent for Virtual...) : From what I can tell, Symantec's new agent will give me basically the same capabilities as Veeam which would mean an easier implementation and a single interface to perform all backups and restores.

Since pricing for this agent will be almost identical to that of Veeam, I really have to rely on my understanding of the productions advantages and disadvantages.

Has anyone out there used both products or has come across information regarding Symantec's agent?

Thanks in advance.

Terry

0 Kudos
2 Replies
AntonVZhbankov
Immortal
Immortal

Wait a little bit. Veeam is going to announce their Backup 5.0 with some cool features next week.

---

MCSA, MCTS, VCP, VMware vExpert '2009

http://blog.vadmin.ru

EMCCAe, HPE ASE, MCITP: SA+VA, VCP 3/4/5, VMware vExpert XO (14 stars)
VMUG Russia Leader
http://t.me/beerpanda
0 Kudos
Gostev
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Does price matter Smiley Wink I got some quotes for Backup Exec 2010 and it appears to be about 3-4 times more expensive than Veeam. What most people are missing is that besides Symantec Agent for VMware is not enough to do backups. Backup server licence, dedupe license, agents for each application like DC/Exchange/SQL cost a lot. With Veeam, you get per-socket price that includes everything.

Another thing to consider is that backup is only half of Veeam solution. It also provides near-CDP replication, on-site for high availability, and off-site for disaster recovery - at no extra costs. Backup Exec does not have anything like that.

And yes as Anton already mentioned you want to check out some new breakthrough technologies Veeam will announce next week.

0 Kudos