VMware Cloud Community
MZirbes
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VDR to VDP Migration error

I am trying to perform a migration from Vmware Data Recovery 2.0 to vSphere Data Protection 5.1 2.0TB (Standard). vCenter 5.1u1 in managing a single ESXi4.1 host which is running all of my VMs and both the VDR and VDP appliances. VDP has been configured and is managable in the vspher webclient, I have not configured any backup jobs or any other settings. The VDR appliance is managable using the vSphere Client. When I connect to the VDP and start the migration process I am stopped when trying to attach to the VDR 2.0 appliance with a generic "Failed to attach VDR Appliance" message. I do not know where the logs are found to perform any additional troubleshooting.

Of note: When I tried to perform an upgrade from vCenter 4.1u1 to 5.1u1 I had problems with the SQL instance install. Since this is a very small environment (4 VMs) I choose to remove all Vmware software and all SQL from the server and then performed a fresh install of vCenter 5.1 along with SSO etc. I then connected the single host to the new vCenter and everythign seemes to be working properly.

Any assistance you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
GSparks
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Logs for the VDR to VDP migration can be found on the VDP appliance under /usr/local/avamar/var/vdp-migration/server_logs/migration-server.log.

If you can append what you are seeing, we can try to determine root cause.

-Greg Sparks
0 Kudos
RWalterCC
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Anything new in this issue?

i got the same problem, but opened already another post :smileyblush:

0 Kudos
HRZFHO
Contributor
Contributor

Hello there,

the solution is to rename your VDR appliances.

there are no spaces or special characters allowed in the name.

look at this: VMware KB: vSphere Data Protection data migration tool fails with the error: Failed to attach VDR Ap...

greetings

Thorsten

0 Kudos