VMware Cloud Community
xencorit
Contributor
Contributor

VDR's fate decided - VDP is replacing it

http://blogs.vmware.com/vsphere/author/jeff_hunter

"Let’s first talk about why VMware is replacing VMware Data Recovery (VDR) with VDP."

The rest of the post of course in no way hints at any sort of deficiencies in VDR, a product I'm sure that will be fondly remembered by all. (I'll certainly never forget the 2 months I spent trying to get it to work way back when before I went with a 3rd-party solution.)

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Josh26
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

This forum has generally been generall of the view about vDR as a very entry level and not so robust product.

It's interesting to see a vendor actually abandon something and buy another vendor's product to replace it.

0 Kudos
snekkalapudi
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

For VDP discussions follow the VDP community thread - http://communities.vmware.com/community/vmtn/beta/vdp-beta

-Suresh
0 Kudos
AlanHitchcock
Contributor
Contributor

hmm, are you sure that link is correct... I get a "It appears you're not allowed to view what you requested. You might contact your administrator if you think this is a mistake."

0 Kudos
Josh26
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

AlanHitchcock wrote:

hmm, are you sure that link is correct... I get a "It appears you're not allowed to view what you requested. You might contact your administrator if you think this is a mistake."

I was about to post that myself.

The link is correct (probably) - but access is restrcted to Beta testers, which excludes the majority of us.

0 Kudos
AlanHitchcock
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your reply.. that being said, when is VDP supposed to be available?

0 Kudos
snekkalapudi
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Just like VDR, VDP is available with vSphere 5.1 (Essentials plus & above) which is already RTM'ed.

GA is on the way in few weeks.

-Suresh

-Suresh
0 Kudos
Josh26
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Suresh Babu Nekkalapudi wrote:

already RTM'ed.

GA is on the way in few weeks.

-Suresh

Very big side note...

Do those terms really make much sense with a product that is always electronically distributed though?

RTM typically means we're sitting around waiting on the DVDs to get burnt and shipped to suppliers before the GA.

Once a software has RTMed, how long does it take to upload it to the website for download? And if there is something else to happen first, it doesn't really feel like RTM.

0 Kudos
snekkalapudi
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Traditionally what you said is right..

But from buisness strategy, VMware might want to GA after vmworld which is over last week.

So in a week or so 5.1 might be staged.

-Suresh
0 Kudos
mobcdi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Maybe this isn't the right place to ask but will VDP support network shared based backup destinations or will the destinations have to be vmdks as suggested in http://www.vmware.com/files/pdf/techpaper/Introduction-to-Data-Protection.pdf

Another long shot: will it be possible to migrate jobs, dedup stores, restore points from vdr to vdp or should I start planning for a clean slate for VDP

0 Kudos