VMware Cloud Community
candal02
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VDR restore points retained past retention policy

Hello,

I am running vDR 1.2 and have configured a single backup job with a custom retention policy. The "Number of recent backups to retain" is set to 2. For "Older backups to retain", all configurable settings are set to zero. Yet all restore points are retained in my restore tab (currently 5 or more restore points per VM). Am I doing something wrong or do I misunderstand how to use the retention policy?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
stormy58
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello

Your retention policy is identical to ours and I was puzzled by the same thing. However if you look at the attached screenshot, my understanding is that it will keep a minimum of 2 backups and only delete the older ones as needed to make room for a new backup.

Then again, I may be wrong.......

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
stormy58
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello

Your retention policy is identical to ours and I was puzzled by the same thing. However if you look at the attached screenshot, my understanding is that it will keep a minimum of 2 backups and only delete the older ones as needed to make room for a new backup.

Then again, I may be wrong.......

0 Kudos
candal02
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for your reply! And looking at your screenshot, I also see that the retention policy states that it preserves AT LEAST the last "x" number of backups. By definition of AT LEAST, I guess there could easily be more than the custom specified number of backups to keep. I guess that's why VMware puts a cap on the size of the data store, since by this logic, it will always fill up the entire data store over time, and only delete when necessary. I imagine these settings really only become useful when you have mutlitple backup jobs configured. Anyway, your response has shed some light on the topic. Cheers!

0 Kudos