VMware Cloud Community
Skumar704
Contributor
Contributor

VDR on NAS

Hi,

I require to backup 6 VM machines.Size of 5 Machines is around 500GB.6th VM is using running vRDM is around 800GB in size.

We have got a NAS box of 6TB in Size.

I have very basic question.

As we are going to use this as CIFS share (as NAS is windows storage server os installed),will I be able to backup all the machines listed?

Reason behind this question is that as per FAQ and administration guide that;

Deduplication store is limited to;

1. 500GB on CIFS netowrk Share

2. 1 TB on VMDK and RDM.

I fail to understand this exactly.Please share expert opinion on this and help clearing the doubts.

Sushil

0 Kudos
2 Replies
prashanthbgoud
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Generally 1VDR can take backup of 100VMs

1 vCenter can have 10 VDRs.

I recommend 2 VDRs if you have vCenter in place. one VDR for the 5 VM's of 500GB and one for 1 VM which has 800GB RDM.

as you are using RDM, I recommend to use some other backup tool, for file level backup other then VDR.

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful" Best Regards, Prashanth
0 Kudos
Skumar704
Contributor
Contributor

The size of 1 vm is 500GB Each.By creating 1VDR will be able to cater the needs of 5x500GB = 2500GB plus overhead of 10to GB each VM?So just one VDR is enough?What is the limit of 500GB on CIFS as per documnetation of VDR.

I guess VDR can backup virtual RDM and need not to look into separate file level backup system.

Sushil

0 Kudos