VMware Cloud Community
theflakes
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VDR disk selection

Is there a way to tell which disks for a VM are which in the Data Recovery backup job setup wizard? There are a few VMs that I want to only backup the system drive for, but when the disks are located on different LUNs they all have the same name.

thanks,

Brian

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

We list out the order exactly how it is listed under VM properties listing. So the first disk in VM properties listing maps to first disk in VDR backup wizard.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
RParker
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Yes, edit the VDR appliance VM, click on hard disk. That will tell you where the disks reside, and it should correlate to EXACTLY what LUN / Drive they are on.

If you have several disks inside the VDR, they are taken in order, for instance.

HD1 / lun0

HD2 / Lun1

So when you start the appliance, there are 3 disks, the boot drive , and 2 storage drives. The first drive inside the VDR appliance should be mounted as sdb (HD1), and sdc (HD2), etc.. they are in the same order they are mounted inside the appliance...or should. Otherwise no, unless you go into the console of the appliance (via putty or SSH) and look at the configuration.. There is no way to tell from the GUI itself.

But you COULD use a network share mount.. so if your SAN / Datastorage for VDR supports CIFS you can mount the drive exactly where you want it...

0 Kudos
theflakes
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Sorry didn't explain the question that well.

I have a couple VMs that I only want to backup the system drive for via VDR. When setting up the backup job in VDR since all the vmdks for the VM to be backed up reside on different luns they are all named the same. How do I tell which is the system drive. Will it always be the first drive in the list under the VM selection list when setting up the backup job in VDR?

For example in the VM backup selection list I see:

VM-Name

disk.vmdk

disk.vmdk

thanks,

Brian

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

We list out the order exactly how it is listed under VM properties listing. So the first disk in VM properties listing maps to first disk in VDR backup wizard.

0 Kudos