VMware Cloud Community
Bartmosss
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

VDR appliance Backup

I was asking myself if I must backup my VDR appliance. I am imagining a full disaster scenario and I was asking if the capacity to restore my VM would be lost if I lose my VDR info. Does its data stored in the VDR appliance or in the vCenter db? I didn't see anything about this in the documentation.

MCP, A, Network, Linux+, VSP, VTSP, VCP

MCP, A+, Network+, Linux+, VSP, VTSP, VCP
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RParker
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I must be able to rebuild all my setup from scratch.

ALL the data you need to restore your VDR backup is ON the target (CIFS) store. If you backup that data to tape or something else you retain ALL your VDR data.

VDR Blows up. You delete it.

Install a NEW VDR. You point to existing VDR datastore. VDR sees it's an existing VDR data repository. It prompts you to recatalog / rebuild your environment.

You say yes.

VDR is back in action, yes it's that simple.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Poort443
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

The data is stored either in the appliance (add a disk and reboot), or on a network share, to which you can connect using the vCenter plugin.

0 Kudos
Bartmosss
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I know that my backup could be stored on either a disk inside the appliance or on another destination like CIFS file share. If I backup to a CIFS file share does all the information for restoring is inside these file or there is some data in the VDR appliance or the vCenter DB.

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

ALL the data you need to restore your VDR backup is ON the target (CIFS) store. If you backup that data to tape or something else you retain ALL your VDR data.

VDR Blows up. You delete it.

Install a NEW VDR. You point to existing VDR datastore. VDR sees it's an existing VDR data repository. It prompts you to recatalog / rebuild your environment.

You say yes.

VDR is back in action, yes it's that simple.

0 Kudos
Bartmosss
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks you. That's what I needed to know.

0 Kudos
markokobal
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi,

I wonder if all of the VDR settings are preserved in the case when I have to install a NEW VDR and reuse existing VDR datastore? That includes VDR general settings (Email, etc.) and especialy informations about the jobs? Do I have to re-enter all the jobs, or are jobs configurations stored in the backup datastore?

-- Kind regards, Marko. VCP5
0 Kudos