VMware Cloud Community
terran0925
Contributor
Contributor

VDR and storage allocation for virtual machine

Hi,

While browsing around some datastores today in a vSphere 4 environment with VDR deployed, I noticed that one of the datastores has a provisioned size much bigger than the capacity.  After browsing around to determine if someone had mistakenly thin provisioned a bunch of VMs, I noticed that the reason why I was seeing this was because VDR had a few new hard disks attached to it.  It looks like these hard disks are the VMs that it is backing up but the catch was that the path of these disks were not on the same datastore as the VDR appliance yet when I manually add up the disk sizes, it looks like the summary of the datastore that stores the VDR appliance took:

1. The total storage used for the virtual machines running on it.
2. The provisioned size of the virtual machine disks VDR was backing up.

... and added them together.  The question I have now is although it doesn't seem like these virtual machine disks that VDR is backing up is taking up space on the datastore that VDR is stored, should I be moving VDR to another datastore and allocate more space for it (doesn't seem like I need to) or is this simply a bug in vSphere?  Thanks.

0 Kudos
0 Replies