VMware Cloud Community
nasadmin
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VDR &VCB Snapshots

VCB creates a snapshot named VCB-BACKUP and VDR creates a snapshot named datarecovery . When using VCB ,If I have already an existing snap shot with the same name as VCB creates , the snapshot creation fails .But VDR is deleting the snapshot and creating a new one ,if it identies the already existing snapshot named datarecovery . Any explanation for this ?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

That is correct. We pictured that "datarecovery" as all one word might be unique enough to not happen accidentally. As you have mentioned, this may have been a bit naive. Nevertheless, please avoid naming your manually generated snapshots as "datarecovery". Smiley Wink

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

VDR recognizes that if a snapshot named "datarecovery" is found, then it must be a leftover from a failed backup attempt. This is because a successful backup attempt will result in the snapshot being deleted. The intent here is to not leave debris from failed backup attempts that do nothing except take up space.

0 Kudos
nasadmin
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Glenn

I created a snap shot named datarecovery manually before I take a backup using VDR .It deleted the snapshot and recreated again .So the exception here is we shouldnt have a snapshot named datarecovery if we want to use VDR .Am I correct?

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

That is correct. We pictured that "datarecovery" as all one word might be unique enough to not happen accidentally. As you have mentioned, this may have been a bit naive. Nevertheless, please avoid naming your manually generated snapshots as "datarecovery". Smiley Wink

0 Kudos