VMware Cloud Community
Ace007
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

VDR Recovery Process

Hi

If i perform a backup of a VM with VDR,, first time it will take full backup and from next time it will do incrementals, same goes if we use Veeam backup software.

My question is do i need all the disks which are backedup earlied. First full then all the incremental-day01, incremental-day02, incremental-day03. what if i lost incremental-day02.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

VDR as well as Veeam, vRanger and other backup applications are doing image backups. They either use their own logic or - in current versions - leverage VMware's CBT (Changed Block Tracking) to identify modified data blocks within the vmdk files which need to be backed up.

However, an incremental backup is the same for image and file backups, only the latest changes are backed up.

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

To first answer your question. Yes, you will need all incremental backups made since the last full backup.

Incremental backups are commonly used to reduce backup space and time, since only the changes since the last backup are backed up. On the other side, the restore process may take a longer time.

André

0 Kudos
Ace007
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks for your response

sorry if my question is silly.

Can you please clear me, It implies to Image level backups ? (VMDK files) or you were talking about file level backups.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

VDR as well as Veeam, vRanger and other backup applications are doing image backups. They either use their own logic or - in current versions - leverage VMware's CBT (Changed Block Tracking) to identify modified data blocks within the vmdk files which need to be backed up.

However, an incremental backup is the same for image and file backups, only the latest changes are backed up.

André

0 Kudos