gsk308
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VDR Network Shares

hi all,

i am planing to setup a backup with VDR for vcenter. i am presently trying out the setup with a couple of servers.i have a 10TB space shared with CIFS filesystem. when i try to add a share to VDR i get a pop up note saying that the network shares should not be more than 500GB as it hampers the performance.attached is the screenshot for it.is this a limitation for VDR or the network share type? since we have some 200 vms for which i need to setup the backup env, and for this i dont want to have mutiple shares with 500GB each.can i get more suggestions and other ways for backup of VMs....

-Sri Krishna

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
sumitpatel
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

Yes It is true that VDR does not recommend CIFS network share of more than 500 GB.

If you have 200 VMs and would like to backup them using VDR, you should add larger size ( around 2 TB ) of vmware virtual disk ( either from NFS/SAN/iSCSI or Local Datastore) to the VDR appliance and then use it as a destination to store backup of your VMs using VDR.

Just Edit Setting of VDR Appliance and Add new Virtual Hard disk of any larger size, restart VDR appliance and use that newly created virtual disk as a destination to store your backup.

Hope this information will help you to setup your VDR.

If you find this information helpdul, please reward points !

Regards,

Sumit

gsk308
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

thanks a lot.....ans sorry for the late reply.

so i go with a NFS share over 500GB? i have a NFS share of about 9TB. are there any considerations tat i need to take care before setting up the env?

0 Kudos
sumitpatel
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Sri Krishna wrote:

thanks a lot.....ans sorry for the late reply.

so i go with a NFS share over 500GB? i have a NFS share of about 9TB. are there any considerations tat i need to take care before setting up the env?

Yes, You can add new virtual disk of more than 500 GB from your NFS Datastore to your VDR appliance and then can use that vmdk as a destination to store your backups.

Let me know if you need any more information or help.

Regards,

Sumit

gsk308
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

thanks Sumit

i have a 9TB NFS share. i will mount the entire volume as a datastore to VDR vm. are there any limitations/considerations that i need to take care of?

-Krishna

0 Kudos
sumitpatel
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Krishna,

Since you have around 200 VMs to be backed up, I would recommend to create 2 or 3 vmdk from your 9 TB NFS datastore , add them to your VDR appliance and create multiple Backup Jobs and distribute backups in different destination . This will help to manage backup window and destination easily.

Hope this information will help you to setup your VDR.

If you find this information helpdul, please reward points !

Regards,

Sumit

0 Kudos
gsk308
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

thanks sumit,i will be back with any issues if i face any....

0 Kudos
hybrid461
Contributor
Contributor

You may of found this out by now. But VDR is limited to 2 1TB drives per appliance. If you need more space, you will need to add additional appliances.

0 Kudos
rickardnobel
Champion
Champion

There is also a limit of maximum 100 VMs per VDR appliance.

My VMware blog: www.rickardnobel.se
0 Kudos