VMware Cloud Community
patrickf3
Contributor
Contributor

VDR Issues (Not Licensed & Cannot quiesce virtual machine)

I am using VDR 1.2.0.1131, ESXi 4.1, vCenter 4.1 and my Guest OS is Windows 2008 R2 64bit.

When I create a new backup job and add a VM to the job I get this error: "One or more of the selected virtual machines are on an unlicensed host. The virtual machines will not be backed up until the host is license" - I am certain I am licensed for this and all my hosts are licensed already...

THEN when I run the job I am getting this error:

10/1/2010 12:01:07 PM: Normal backup using Backup Job 1

10/1/2010 12:02:32 PM: Failed to create snapshot for vmView, error -3960 ( cannot quiesce virtual machine)

10/1/2010 12:02:36 PM: Task incomplete

I know 2008R264bit will only work with vSphere4.0u1 .. but I am well upgraded past that - anyone have more ideas?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
jcwuerfl
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

What edition of VMware are you licensed for? You need at least Advanced, Enterprise, or Enterprise Plus or Essentials Plus I believe. Also are the VMware Tools up to date?

http://www.vmware.com/vmwarestore/vsphere_purchaseoptions.html

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Two options on Windows 2008R2 VM

1) Update tools

2) Disable VSS in tools - you only get a crash consistent snapsho, but at least will tell if the issue is VSS related or other. If it work, then maybe try to update Tools again and enable VSS so you can get file or application consistent snapshots.

0 Kudos