VMware Cloud Community
dbristow
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VDR Integrity Checks Slow and Causing Serious Performance Problems

Hi,

I'm fairly knew with VMware and VDR.  My VDR appliance version is 1.2.0.1131.  I'm backing up to a Windows Storage Server (2003, R2) which has two, 500GB partitions which are shared using the default sharing mechanism in Windows (CIFS).  In VDR I have two destinations which simply connect to the network shares (the two 500GB partitions on the storage server).

The performance of backups and recoveries is good.  However, full integrity checks not only take a long time (up to 24 hours) but cause the Storage Server to be so unresponsive that other tasks, such as data restores, have to wait until the integrity checks complete.

The storage server uses SATA drives and so I'm hoping that the simple answer to this is not to simply upgrade to faster performing disk technology.

Researching similar issues, it seems that I have a few options to try.

1.  Change the IrpStackSize value size on the storage server.  http://communities.vmware.com/thread/213924?start=0&tstart=0

2.  Tweak the datarecovery.ini file.  http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&taskId=110&prodSeriesId=...

3.  Use NFS instead of CIFS.  http://communities.vmware.com/message/1769144#1769144

4.  Upgrade the VDR appliance version?

Again, since I am fairly knew at this I would appreciate some further guidance and expert advice.

Thanks for your time

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

dbristow wrote:

So, do you think that it is worth the trouble of setting up NFS on my windows storage server or am I better off purchasing some other storage solution?

I can't answer your question. I personally would make the storage server into the Windows network file server. A job it is really good at. I would look for some other storage device. I don't know the rest of your infrastructure. If you have a SAN I would look for something to compliment it. Replication comes to mind. If you don't have a SAN then there are lots of NAS devices. Pick a budget amount and start looking. You can also use a server that matches your company specs and fill it with drives. You can install a standard linux distribution and enable the native NFS server. A one line configuration is all it takes. You can add management software Open-e, Starwind, FreeNAS.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
13 Replies
dbristow
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Oops, the first sentence should have read "I am fairly new" instead of "I am fairly knew".  :smileyblush:

0 Kudos
dbristow
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Integrity check is running yet again and in looking at the performance monitor on the storage server the counter "avg. disk queue length" is at 100% utilization.  Thanks.

0 Kudos
MarcusSmith
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have VDR backing up to CIFS shares on two 7200RPM 500GB SATA drives in a server running a core2duo processor, and my integrity checks don't take that long, so I can at least say that your solution won't be to upgrade your storage to faster disks... I am running server 2008, though, which from what I understand has better CIFS performance than 2003, but surely that wouldn't make THAT big of a difference...

dbristow
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks, it's helpful to know that I am not totally out to lunch with how I have this configured.

0 Kudos
dbristow
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

This integrity check completed within few minutes.  Again, it is the weekly, full integriy checks that are problematic.  I find it to be such an oversight that I can't schedule them.  However, this seems to be a common complaint.

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

CIFS is not the preferred vDR destination per the vDR documentation. I would use NFS as a datastore and add a vmdk as the destination.

0 Kudos
dbristow
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Okay, I've found this article on how to setup NFS shares on a windows storage server running 2003 R2.  http://blogs.msdn.com/b/sfu/archive/2007/04/19/set-up-server-for-nfs-in-windows-server-2003-r2.aspx

As for the vmware side of things, can you recommend a good step-by-step reference?  Thanks.

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Windows doesn't make a great NFS server either. Adding NFS as a datastore uses the Add Storage wizard from the vSphere Client -- Configuration tab --Storage

http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1003967

0 Kudos
dbristow
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Also, as you can understand my backups are critical.  Would I have to start from scratch, meaning re-format my existing CFS partitions (I don't have any other readily available partitions) and re-share them using NFS or could I somehow import/copy my existing backups?  Thanks again.

0 Kudos
dbristow
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

So, do you think that it is worth the trouble of setting up NFS on my windows storage server or am I better off purchasing some other storage solution?

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

dbristow wrote:

I can't answer your question. I personally would make the storage server into the Windows network file server. A job it is really good at. I would look for some other storage device. I don't know the rest of your infrastructure. If you have a SAN I would look for something to compliment it. Replication comes to mind. If you don't have a SAN then there are lots of NAS devices. Pick a budget amount and start looking. You can also use a server that matches your company specs and fill it with drives. You can install a standard linux distribution and enable the native NFS server. A one line configuration is all it takes. You can add management software Open-e, Starwind, FreeNAS.

0 Kudos
dbristow
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have a SAN for storage of my VMs etc.  However, my current backup strategy is to have offsite storage, which is accomplished by having my storage server located about 10 miles away and connected via 1GB switches and fibre.  This works very well except, of course, for what we have been talking about with using a windows server instead of a linux/nfs based storage solution.  I think that I'll research NAS solutions that I may be able to implement sooner than later.

Do I need to pick certain NAS solutions over others or do all NAS devices inherently provide native NFS support for VDR connectivity?  This is my last question, by the way, as you have been more than generous with your time.  I have appreciated your help.

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

NFS version 3 is what is necessary. I would stay away from the really low priced devices. If you have a spare server with some storage I would set up a test NFS server with Linux and see how well it works. I don't have any experience with CIFS at distance but I wonder if the integrity check is bothered by latency or ??. It might be a good idea to post a new question and see if someone has any experience with vDR and CIFS or NFS over a distance. Post as much information about your infrastructure as you can.

There is no limit on questions and glad to help.

0 Kudos