VMware Cloud Community
Useless1
Contributor
Contributor

VDR - Folders? Any kind of structure?!

Hi,

I have just upgraded one host to vSphere 5 in my environment and have been trying out VDR 2.0

It seems to be working well at the moment (fingers crossed), but I was wondering if there was any way of creating a container like a folder, so that any VM's placed in this will be automatically caught by a backup job?

I can see if I create a folder in the Hosts and Clusters view, this appears in the VDR console, but it only allows selection at the Datacenter or Cluster level (I only have one datacenter and one cluster!)?

Ideally I would like to create a folder lower down to group individual VM's by for different backup jobs? Any ideas?!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Paul11
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

You can create one or more ressource Pools in your Cluster and put some of your VM's into them. Than you can select the Ressource Pool in VDR, and any new VM which you put into the Ressource Pool will automatically be backed up without any manual tasks within your VDR.

You do not need to give the Ressource Pools any limitations, so it makes no difference to your current situation with only one Cluster.

That's not an ideal solution, but it works very well.

Paul

0 Kudos
jyarborough
Contributor
Contributor

I was really hoping they would have figured this out by now. Even the documentation for 5.1 says you are supposed to be able to select different types of objects including folders.  The product seems pretty janky overall (yes that is a technical term!).  It seems to have some things scienced out well like the multi-level retention periods, but some of the basics are lacking like seeing how much data the backups are actually consuming, a live view of the running backup jobs, etc.  Come on VMware!  Oh, and by the way VDP programmers, TiB isn't a valid abbreviation for terabyte...

0 Kudos