VMware Cloud Community
mackinsBNP
Contributor
Contributor

VDR Fails to back up machines

Hi

I have VDR setup in my ESXi Environment so as I can backup my 48 Virtual machines. I choose all the disks on the VM's that I need backed up and go through the rest of the job config settings and then save the job. When the backup completes it has skipped about 7 or 8 of the VM's for no reason.  When I Iook in the job setup the disks/VMs that I thought I had selected for backup are not selected. I edit the job and choose the disks again and I am sure to make sure they are selected (tick in the box beside them) I complete and save the job setup. I then run  the job, however it skips the same VMs again even though I am 100% sure that I have choosen them for backup. There is nothing in the log as to why it has skipped the VM's.

Has anybody experienced this type fo behaviour with VDR 2.0. If so can you please share how you fixed/resolved/worked around the issue.

Thanks a lot.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
aravinds3107
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Do you have Independent mode enabled on VM disks?

is there any damanaged restore point for those VM's?

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful |Blog: http://aravindsivaraman.com/ | Twitter : ss_aravind
0 Kudos
mackinsBNP
Contributor
Contributor

Nope, I dont have independent disks enabled on any of my VM's

I had 6 VM's fail on the weekends backup. 2 of them have previous restore points(not sure how I can tell if they are damaged) 4 of them have no restore points at all, they have never been backed up even though I edit the backup job and ensure they are selected before it kicks off. Dont get any error messages etc they just refuse to back up.

0 Kudos
kevand
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for your email.

I am currently away from the office, retuning on Monday 19th March. If you need anything urgently, please email itsupport@nsf-cmi.com or ring 01993885699.

Regards

Kevan

********************************************************************************

**Disclaimer**

The contents of this Email may be privileged and are confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on it, is prohibited and may be unlawful.

Should you wish to use Email as a mode of communication, NSF-CMi Ltd and its subsidiaries are unable to guarantee the security of Email content outside of our own computer systems.

This footnote also confirms that this Email message has been checked by MailMarshal for the presence of computer viruses. Whilst we run anti-virus software, you are solely responsible for ensuring that any Email or attachment you receive is virus free. We disclaim any liability for any damage you suffer as a consequence of receiving any virus.

NSF-CMi Ltd

Registered in England No: 1899857

Registered Office : Hill House, 1 Little New Street, London, EC4A 3TR.

0 Kudos
aravinds3107
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

As you must be aware VDR can backup maximum of 8 VM's simultaneoulsy.

Just to be sure can you try to run the backup in seprate windows and see if it starts

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful |Blog: http://aravindsivaraman.com/ | Twitter : ss_aravind
0 Kudos
mackinsBNP
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Aravinds

Yes I am aware that VDR can only backup 8 VMs simultaneoulsy, however I a m not sure why that is relevant in this case. Each VDR applicance can protect up to 200 VMs. I only require 46 to be backed up. I have tried backing them up on their own and it works fine.

0 Kudos
aravinds3107
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Probably you may have some daily VM job for other VM's which is schedule in the same time as your weekly job which doesnt allow this backup job to start.

FYI -- VDR can backup only 100 VM's NOT 200

http://pubs.vmware.com/vsphere-50/topic/com.vmware.ICbase/PDF/vmware-data-recovery-administrators-gu...

Page 14 - Each backup appliance can back up 100 virtual machines, but a maximum of 8 virtual machines can be backed up simultaneously

Refer troubleshooting section Page 39 - It explain the reason why the backup doesnt compelte as excepted where there no error in the backup job

0 Kudos
mackinsBNP
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry the 200 was a typo, I've been through the maual/troubleshooting and none of the troubleshooting suggestion apply, hence the reason why I am on the forums seeing if anyone else has seen the issue..

thanks for your help though.

0 Kudos