VMware Cloud Community
71mb0
Contributor
Contributor

VDR - Can't login to web console - Invalid server response, CIM server is unreachable. Please try again.

Hi,

I have imported the VDR OVF appliance into VC, powered it on and got a VM Console. VM has DHCP address and I can see it on the network. I have logged into the console as the default user and set my own root password. I have logged out and back in to test it's correct.

I browse to https://vdr-server:5480 and get the login prompt for the web console and supply the credentials root & my password.

I then have a 2-3 minute wait and then get the following error;

!https://10.105.6.22:5480/images/exclamation.gif!Invalid server response, CIM server is unreachable. Please try again.

Can anyone help please?

0 Kudos
11 Replies
71mb0
Contributor
Contributor

Right,

I have solved this myself.

- The CIM server issue.

I removed the VDR appliance and redeployed it again on my 2nd (idential) test host. Out of the box this then allowed me to login via the web console (although there is next to no point to this as there's nothing there really.)

I then encountered further problems;

- Trying to connect to the VDR appliance from VC it would always comeback with host not found (VC could ping server etc and on same subnet). Eventually after trying lots of things, I gave the VDR server a static IP. As soon as I did this and went to add it again in VC, it came up with a login box.

- I enetered my user password (my user is a full VC admin), but it wouldn't take it. I followed all the tips about connecting to the VC via it's remote IP address but to no avail.

I eventually found that the problem is related to running my VC & Vsphere client on windows 2008.

I installed Vsphere client on a seperate windows 2003 server and straight away, adding VDR host lets me authenticate and now I'm in and working.

Hope this is useful to anyone else, this product seems to have quite a few issues at this stage.

Tim.

0 Kudos
71mb0
Contributor
Contributor

it's a shame I can't mark myself as the helpful and correct answer Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
Igor_Nemilosti1
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same problem too

Anybody?

--

Igor Nemilostivy

-- Igor Nemilostivy
0 Kudos
71mb0
Contributor
Contributor

If you have the same problem, then have you tried the same solution?

0 Kudos
Igor_Nemilosti1
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry that did not specify, I have a similar problem.

I try to enter via the web console too, under the default credential and get "Unable to connect to server. Please try again".

Everything rest of VDR is OK. I am successfully doing backups.

--

Igor Nemilostivy

-- Igor Nemilostivy
0 Kudos
Michelle_Laveri
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I had the similar error - but different cause...

This time the vDR was up and pingable. The cause was linked mode authentication. I have to two VC - virtualcenter4.vi4book.com and virtualcenter4i.vi4book.com. The VDR was imported as an OVF into the vcentercenter4i.vi4book.com environment when BUT i initially authenticated to the virtualcenter4.vi4book.com using linked mode to manage both VCs.

I found I had to login to the virtualcenter4i.vi4book.com VC before the "Connect" button would work.

I forgot the vDR does not work across VCs. It's one VDR per VC - and you must connect to the correct VC for the "Connect" and authentication to work...

Regards

Mike Laverick

RTFM Education

http://www.rtfm-ed.co.uk

Author of the SRM Book: http://www.lulu.com/content/4343147

Regards
Michelle Laverick
@m_laverick
http://www.michellelaverick.com
0 Kudos
Igor_Nemilosti1
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks!

But, I have one VC in our testing environment!

--

Igor Nemilostivy

-- Igor Nemilostivy
0 Kudos
AndyShinn
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Was the Authentication error you were getting the same as:

Error: Connect::BeginSession: failed to authenticate

Please make sure that the Data Recovery Appliance is turned on

?

I am trying to get VDR running also and can't seem to get past this. The VMware Data Recovery view in vSphere client only shows up on the actual vCenter server itself. On my desktop computer I don't get this view at all. Maybe it needs to be installed on each client computer?

0 Kudos
AndyShinn
Contributor
Contributor

OK, I took 71mb0 advice and tried on a non Vista/W2K8 machine and it worked! It is very strange... just after installing the plugin on the WIndows 2003 machine with the vSphere client ALL the clients instantly authenticated and the VDR summary screen popped up in all clients.

Guess there are going to be bugs in vSphere and I should get used to it. Took me a while to find this thread. Hopefully my error message can help it show up in search results Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
horace_ng
Contributor
Contributor

ok, I'm having the same auth issue on my vista machine. I can get pass the initial OVF deployment and set up back up, however, after my machine get rebooted, I cannot login to VDR again.

0 Kudos
dkleeman
Contributor
Contributor

We had this problem. We were using the VI client on the VC server running Windows Server 2003 R2. The problem went away when we accessed Data Recovery from the VI client on a separate client machine.

0 Kudos