VMware Cloud Community
cik1
Contributor
Contributor

VDR 1.2 - Not connected when trying to manage appliance

I am posting this because it took me half a day to google through all the suggestions on various forums related to this issue. None of the suggestions worked for me and my particular problem.

My Problem:

I upgraded to VDR 1.2 and all went well with the install and deployment. The VMA even powered on and got to the console screen with no error.When I loaded the VDR plugin and chose the VMA from inventory to connect to it would think for a few moments and then say Not Connected.

My Solution:

Feel a little embarassed but I thought I

better post my solution back here in case others have the same problem.

Somehow

the hostname of my VDR appliance was not what I thought I configured it

as when doing the deployment. So I was loading the VDR plugin and

Selecting the VDR Appliance form the menu and clicking connect. Just

kept coming up with "not connected"

I tried pinging the IP

address that had been assigned to VDR with -a. The hostname was not

what I set up, obviously what was causing the issues.

I logged

into the console and changed the hostname to what I was trying to

connect to, I also changed the IP Address to a static one just to be

sure.

Now all is well!!

Hope this helps

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Andy25
Contributor
Contributor

I am having this same issue, except incorrect hostname is not my problem. I have been using VDR 1.2 since its release and have not had problems with it until now. It works much better than 1.1.

When I click connect to manage my VDR appliance it immediately fails to connect and shows a status of not connected. I tried rebooting it, that didn't fix my problem. The appliance is ping-able on the network both by hostname and IP address, and it fails to connect with both hostname and IP address as well.

This appliance has been working fine for a couple of months and I haven't changed anything... any ideas of what could be wrong?

0 Kudos
quickdrive
Contributor
Contributor

I'm getting the same thing as Andy25 as of today

I went to look at my logs from last week just now and noticed a string of errors that I'm not able to post, I normally reboot the appliance when problems like that happen (Prior to 1.2 anyway) so I did that and even though the appliance restarts I'm unable to connect.

Error: The data recovery service did not start up.

If the problem persists please restart or redeploy the data recovery appliance.

Anyone else?

0 Kudos
jongh
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

I've the same problem, without any reason, on 2 differents ESXi, i've the same configuration, but one VDR is not connected and one work fine.

I tried to put my IP on static, change my hostname, restart the VDR, reinstall the VDR.

Edit : I trided other IP adress, and I think that if you don't have a clean DHCP et DNS it doesn't work.

Now it's working.

0 Kudos
Nick0102
Contributor
Contributor

Hello

I had this exact problem on my system. Sometimes plugin cound connect to appliance (and worked after that flawwlessly) and sometimes could not. Very weird issue. After some investigation the problem was identified:

Current IP assigned to vDR appliance was some time ago used by some former antivirus server. The record in DNS was correct and all vclient<->vdr<->vcenter<->esxhosts<->dns traffic allowed and worked correctly BUT... the reverse lookup zone in DNS was not cleaned up and had 2 records of vdr hostname and the older antivirus server name pointing to the same address. Because of the nature of vc client plugin checking the revers lookup names and the nature of DNS randomly return two domain names if they point to the same IP address, connection establishes also randomly - only for the correct name e.g. of vdr.

After removing wrong old record from the revers lookup zone everything works as expected.

This thread is quite old but I hope this info helps someone in the future.

Nick

0 Kudos