VMware Cloud Community
tomtux
Contributor
Contributor

VDR 1.0.2 and Internet-Proxy-Settings?

Hi all,

I've installed VDR 1.0.2. One installation-task is to define an internet-proxy server. For what kind of purpose does the vdr-appliance need an internet-connection? What problems will I have, when I deny the internet-access for the vdr-appliance?

Will the appliance update itself to the next higher minor release (example 1.0.3) with the defined internet-proxy-settings?

Thanks a lot.

Tom

0 Kudos
8 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

At what part of the installation do you see this message?

0 Kudos
tomtux
Contributor
Contributor

At two points:

Point one:

- When I open a console-window to the appliance and configure the network settings. There will I also be asked to an internet-proxy-server

Point two:

I can open an https-connection to the vdr-appliance. There I can configure the network-settings, reboot the appliance, configure the internet-proxy-settings......

0 Kudos
AGrueninger
Contributor
Contributor

Tom

I guess it is for the ntp daemon.

If you open /etc/ntp.conf you will there find ntp servers located in the internet.

Change this to the time server in your network and restart the service or the appliance.

Regards

Andreas

0 Kudos
tomtux
Contributor
Contributor

I also determined this setting in the "/etc/ntp.conf". There are the centos-pool-ntp-server registered. But I did'nt find a script or a crontab, that adjust the time with the ntp-servers, set in "/etc/ntp.conf". The NTP-Init-Script is also not configured to start in runlevel 3.

I think, the proxy-settings are for some other things....but I still don't know which ones....

Thanks a lot.

Tom

0 Kudos
AGrueninger
Contributor
Contributor

Tom

ntp.conf is the configuration file for the ntp DAEMON.

Change it and restart the daemon with "/etc/init.d/ntp restart".

Regards

Andreas

0 Kudos
tomtux
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Andreas

I know, that the "/etc/ntp.conf" is the configuration-file for the NTP-Daemon. But the daemon will not be started (after reboot) in the default-configuration with runlevel 3 (see "chkconfig --list ntpd"). Because of this, I'm wondering for what purposes the proxy-settings will be used....

Kind regards,

Tom

0 Kudos
AGrueninger
Contributor
Contributor

Tom

I enabled the ntpd with "chkconfig ntpd on" and started it.

Seems to work.

Cheers

Andreas

0 Kudos
tomtux
Contributor
Contributor

Yes...this will work. But I still don't understand, why or for what purposes I have to enter a proxy-server, because I think in most cases, the ntp-port will not be allowed on proxy-servers. I don't know if it is possible to configure the ntp-daemon in such way, that he query the defined ntp-servers in ntp.conf over a proxy-server. I now, with rsync, wget, etc.. I can add proxy-parameters, but with ntp....I don't know.....

And the ntp-daemon on the vdr-appliance is also not started by default, so the appliance have no chance to get the right time from the centos-ntp-pool-servers.

Thanks a lot.

Tom

0 Kudos