VMware Cloud Community
mobcdi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VDP5 Appliance Checkpoint /vmdk Questions

Is it possible to configure where the checkpoints for the appliance itself are kept or do they have to share the same datastore as the dedup'd vm's?

Can the appliance be configured to store its vmdk files in different datastores using migration after its deployed?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
snekkalapudi
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi,

The appliance can be very well configured to store its vmdk files in different datastores using migration after its deployed?

The best possible use case....

Appliance has backed up couple of VMs and then migrated to a different datastore. Even now everthing works normal.

-Suresh
0 Kudos
mobcdi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi there,

Sorry but I don't understand your responses.

Is it possible to have the VDP appliance own vmdks for operations and the vmdks used for storing the dedup backups on different datastores?

I am thinking of the situation where the datastore used for backup gets deleted. I would loose the appliance configurations backups along with the vm backups.

Can I power off the appliance, migrate datastore and choose advanced options to migrate different vmdks to different datastores (see image for example) or is the appliance configured to store its own OS, config details, backups in 1 vmdk(s) along with the dedup backup data?

Could someone include a screen shot of the disk configuration of the VDP appliance, the admin guide doesn't seem to outline the vmdk structure of the appliance?

Example of Migrating Datastores (vmdks to different datastores)

MigrationExample.png

0 Kudos
snekkalapudi
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Sorry about the confusion..got you now..

Here is the layout of applince vmdks -

1st disk typicall of 100GB is for OS and other appliance utilities

Disks 2,3 & 4 are typically the data disks.

So you can have you VDP disks 2,3,4 in different datastores (in that way you can have your dedupe backup data totally on different datastores)

Hope i am clear now..Feel free if any further questions

-Suresh
snekkalapudi
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Screenshot for your reference

-Suresh
0 Kudos
snekkalapudi
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Attached now..