VMware Cloud Community
mvrk
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

VDP - smaller data disks

Hi,

Can someone tell me if there is a possibility to deploy VDP with smaller disks (less then 256GB)?

For my home lab 3 x 256GB data disks is a complete waste of space, and i don't even have that much to do it.

I was using VMware Data Recovery, but i upgraded to vSphere 6 and VDR no longer connects to vCenter or ESXi 6.0 Smiley Sad

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mvrk
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi,

Yes that's true, but that would get me another problem, i do offsite backup to an USB disk with rsync, and that would make me copy the entire 265GB disks, i don't think rsync goes very well with think provision disks.

Anyway i think i just found the problem with VMware Data Recovery no being able to connect to ESXi / vCenter 6, i think its the SSLv3, i downgraded to my previous 5.5 and VMDR connects ok, but then i upgraded to 5.5U3b (that disables SSLv3) and VMDR can't connect anymore.

Than i enabled SSLv3 on ESXi 5.5U3b and on vCenter 5.5U3b and VMDR now can connect again Smiley Happy

I'm gonna try this with 6.0.

Thanks for the help anyway.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
RyanJMN
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

256GB is the smallest.  You can thin provision.  Its mentioned in the admin guide as being supported.

snekkalapudi
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

I agree with Ryan's reply. You can do thin provisioning.

-Suresh
mvrk
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi,

Yes that's true, but that would get me another problem, i do offsite backup to an USB disk with rsync, and that would make me copy the entire 265GB disks, i don't think rsync goes very well with think provision disks.

Anyway i think i just found the problem with VMware Data Recovery no being able to connect to ESXi / vCenter 6, i think its the SSLv3, i downgraded to my previous 5.5 and VMDR connects ok, but then i upgraded to 5.5U3b (that disables SSLv3) and VMDR can't connect anymore.

Than i enabled SSLv3 on ESXi 5.5U3b and on vCenter 5.5U3b and VMDR now can connect again Smiley Happy

I'm gonna try this with 6.0.

Thanks for the help anyway.

0 Kudos