Backup & Recovery

View Only
  • 1.  VDP - smaller data disks

Posted Apr 20, 2016 06:36 PM

Hi,

Can someone tell me if there is a possibility to deploy VDP with smaller disks (less then 256GB)?

For my home lab 3 x 256GB data disks is a complete waste of space, and i don't even have that much to do it.

I was using VMware Data Recovery, but i upgraded to vSphere 6 and VDR no longer connects to vCenter or ESXi 6.0 :smileysad:

• 2.  RE: VDP - smaller data disks

Posted Apr 20, 2016 07:46 PM

256GB is the smallest.  You can thin provision.  Its mentioned in the admin guide as being supported.

• 3.  RE: VDP - smaller data disks

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 21, 2016 07:12 AM

I agree with Ryan's reply. You can do thin provisioning.

• 4.  RE: VDP - smaller data disks
    Best Answer

Posted Apr 22, 2016 03:48 PM

Hi,

Yes that's true, but that would get me another problem, i do offsite backup to an USB disk with rsync, and that would make me copy the entire 265GB disks, i don't think rsync goes very well with think provision disks.

Anyway i think i just found the problem with VMware Data Recovery no being able to connect to ESXi / vCenter 6, i think its the SSLv3, i downgraded to my previous 5.5 and VMDR connects ok, but then i upgraded to 5.5U3b (that disables SSLv3) and VMDR can't connect anymore.

Than i enabled SSLv3 on ESXi 5.5U3b and on vCenter 5.5U3b and VMDR now can connect again :smileyhappy:

I'm gonna try this with 6.0.

Thanks for the help anyway.