VMware Cloud Community
dyeltonDC
Contributor
Contributor

VDP not loading in web client

Just upgraded vCenter 5.0 to 5.1 and installed VDP along with it. The plug-in shows in the web client and I've configured VDP accordingly. All services (except for maintenance) are running on the VDP server.

Unfortunately when I click to connect to the VDP server from the vCenter web client, I get nothing...just the waiting mouse icon and overcasted page.

What gives? There is nothing in troubleshooting that is remotely helpful for any situation. I would contact support, but VMware has screwed up my support license with the last renewal that just occured so my support doesn't begin until the 16th of this month. I have a support ticket about that in, but no word back.

19 Replies
BlackACE
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

have you after the upgrade from vcenter 5.0 to 5.1 setting the permission from SSO User SYSTEM-DOMAIN\admin in the "Host & Cluster" Tab of your vCenter Server ?

Give SYSTEM-DOMAIN\admin under "Host & Cluster" -> your vCenter Server -> Permissions -> Adminstrator Role

sso-user.jpg

then go Weblogin VDR Appliance -> https://YOUR-IP:8543/vdp-configure/

and re-register the vcenter access (tab configuration , klick change button and then save button)

vcenter01.jpg

After the Save Process must be restart the VDR .... look console for success Boot ... during long time ... last you start webclient and see the vdr under HOME TAB.

http://pubs.vmware.com/vsphere-51/topic/com.vmware.ICbase/PDF/vmware-data-protection-administration-...

look page 14 🙂

Hope helps !!!!

0 Kudos
dyeltonDC
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the attempt, but I've already covered those steps in my install process. I actually setup a specific AD account for VDP to use and assigned permissions according to the documentation you gave me a link to (even using the DOMAIN\user format as requested if using an AD account).

I have a ticket into VMware regarding this, but they're being SUPER slow. I assume that they're buried in support requests for the 5.1 release at the moment, but still...

0 Kudos
dyeltonDC
Contributor
Contributor

Actually, I configured the appliance after the first reboot per the instructions, did a reboot but the system never came back up properly (e.g. web services never started). I then rebooted again and it acted as if I never configured it. I re-configured it, rebooted and that time it stuck but I couldn't connect to it from vCenter. I then rebooted AGAIN, verified that the appliance was configured properly, but I still couldn't connect to it from vCenter. That's when I made my post here.

I currently have logs sent to a VMware engineer as of this morning so we'll see what he comes back with after reviewing them.

0 Kudos
dmamooney
Contributor
Contributor

My install did the same exact thing your's did. "Actually, I configured the appliance after the first reboot per the  instructions, did a reboot but the system never came back up properly  (e.g. web services never started). I then rebooted again and it acted as  if I never configured it. I re-configured it, rebooted and that time it  stuck but I couldn't connect to it from vCenter. I then rebooted AGAIN,  verified that the appliance was configured properly, but I still  couldn't connect to it from vCenter."

I added the admin from the system domain as an administrator as recommended above and rebooted the appliance. did not fix the issue.

I am getting  error "HTTP 500 internal server error" from https://xx.xxx.xx.xx:9443/vsphere-client/ when I ty to acess it from the web client. https://xx.xx.xxx.xx:8543/vdp-configure/ still works fine.

Let us know if you get anything from vmware on this.

BTW we are running vCenter 5.1 on Hosts 5.0 update 1.

0 Kudos
dmamooney
Contributor
Contributor

Found a solution.

I installed Vsphere web client on my vcenter server (troubleshooting an SSO issues in linked mode) and found that the tab for Vsphere dat protection worked. I just had to select the server name and create a backup Job. I then pointed my local Vsphere web client to the Vcenter server (not the data protection appliance as shown in documentation) and it works as well.

0 Kudos
dyeltonDC
Contributor
Contributor

I think we have different issues. Even if I attempt to connect to VDP from the web client on the vCenter server itself, it still hangs. Note the word hangs as the web client stops responding to anything vs getting back an error of any type.

Still no word from the VMware engineer assigned to the case I opened. I assume that they're still trying to make sense of the logs I sent in. Would really like to get this working. :smileycry:

0 Kudos
GSparks
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Good afternoon-

In order to clarify that this is not a permissions issue, would you be able to try entering a system-domain admin user's credentials instead of the specific AD user you created for VDP and see if this allows for the web client to function?

Thanks.

-Greg Sparks
0 Kudos
dyeltonDC
Contributor
Contributor

Same issue, even when logging in with the default admin SSO account.

0 Kudos
Morris77
Contributor
Contributor

I have exactly the same problem as yours, did you find any solutions?

0 Kudos
dyeltonDC
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry, I failed to update this thread with the 'resolution'.

Unfortunately there wasn't really a resolution to the matter. VMware took absolutely forever on the ticket and I finally gave up and re-installed VDP *AGAIN* and it finally took that time.

VDP is quickly becoming my most hated piece of software however. It doesn't seem to work 100% of the time. I've had it hang up twice and have to cancel it after receiving the morning's report showing that 0 VM's were backed up and 0 VM's failed (totally useless and incorrect info). I'd like to stick with the free built-in option, but I may be forced onto something like Veeam. Maybe that's VMware's intentions.

As much as I hated the previous built-in backup solution, it was way better than the crap they included with 5.1. Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
Morris77
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the info. I hope to get my hands on veeam 6.5 soon and see how good it is. I gave a shot to vmProtect 8 but it does not seem very reliable.

0 Kudos
dmamooney
Contributor
Contributor

Once I fixed my web client issue (connect though vcenter) ours has been running well. It is very connected to the vcenter server. The night after I moved my vcenter manually to a new cluster and new storage half the backups failed with no error msgs. ran fine the next night.

Still learning the product, would like more options on the backups (timing)

0 Kudos
tjcooper
Contributor
Contributor

I am also frustrated with VDP. I installed it, configured it, created backup, they worked, etc. Now I want to check on them and I cant get in, it locks up the web client. Rebooting the web-client service did not help.

I know the industry LOVES web based tools, but apps are far more stable. Let us manage VDP from the vCenter client, or create a seperate tool. 

0 Kudos
dkma2
Contributor
Contributor

I just went thro the same experience.  For what it's worth, I had given the appliance a name other than the default and added the new name to DNS.  I suspected it was a DNS issue and found a setting on the Options | Advanced | vmname string (default).  I shut down the server and changed the string value to my new name and restarted the appliance and it connected straight away.

vdp advanced properties.jpg

Swift0ZA
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you "dkma2"...

I Had the exact same issue where the vSphere Web Client would just sit and do nothing after trying to connect to the VDP appliance. Once I click [Connect] on the screen where one selects the VPD appliance to connect to, it would just grey out the Web Client screen slightly and circle the cursor for hours on end, NO error message, just happily circling the cursor, doing absolutely nothing.

I Changed the vmware name "value", in those advanced settings you mentioned, to the DNS name (not to the FQDN, just to the hostname), Started the Appliance and worked like a charm. I just want to re-itterate that the appliance (VDP) has to be switched off first, then make the change, save it and switch on the VDP appliance, wait for 15 odd minutes to boot (why 15 minutes on new powerfull hardware, heaven knows), and walla, I can Connect!

Now for my final challange - getting backup jobs to complete without errors. I Could not get it working 100% with my previous deployment of VDP in vSphere 5.1 - Some backups completed, some gave errors, others caused VMs needing to be consolidated, what crap!. Let's see if strike 2 gives better results. Grrrrr...

0 Kudos
lfunk
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you, dkma2 and Swift0ZA.

I had opened up a ticket with vmware yesterday, and have yet to receive a response from them. I had followed the instructions created an account that was not part of a group, and still receive the one error that said the account had insufficient rights.  I tried deleting it and re-downloading it. This time I got thru the test connection setup just fine with the same information.  I have no idea how it is possible to have two different outcomes with the same process.

Then my issue was that after the reboot, I could not get back to the web page (Page cannot be displayed), and the appliance still had the "changeme" password for root.  It seemed to lose it settings.  Following the suggestions above I changed that setting to what I had named my appliance and it took 30 minutes for the reboot to finish. Now, finally, I am able to configure my backups. Why on earth would the name change not be in the documentation, I mean who leaves the default name for anything now days?

0 Kudos
gomezjr
Contributor
Contributor

Also confirmed this did the trick. Time for VMware Support to write up a KB, yes??

0 Kudos
NvR4GeT
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I also ran into this after the VDP appliance became corrupted. I attempted a rollback to last "Verified" integrity check. This failed to do that, so fortunately I could delete the entire appliance and re-deploy it. Once I did a redeployment and went to the web-client it entirely locked up with the loading dial and wouldn't allow me to click out. I redeployed again after that attempt I was able to successfully access VDP from the Web-Client.

0 Kudos
monderick
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Found this thread via google as we ran into the same issue on the newest version of the vDP appliance.

Using the steps for changing the vmware name "value" in the vApp settings to hostname allowed the Web Client to connect without delay.

thanks!

0 Kudos