VMware Cloud Community
erkpowell
Contributor
Contributor

VDP fsck failed.

Hello.. My VDP appliance is in a read-only state and will not boot into read-write.

I don't understand the command I think its asking for i.e. bash# mount -n -o remount,rw / doesn't work? Is the bash# asking for a certain drive or partition to mount?

I can log in but I do not understand the command its asking for to remount it as read-write? Please see attached for screen shots.. Thank you, Eric

13 Replies
cshells
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Did you ever get this working? I actually have the exact same error on our vSphere Replication Appliance.

It shows "Activating swap-devices in /etc/fstab...failed" exatly what your screen shot shows.

I am not real good with Linux and when I researched this issue I found a number of differnt ways to fix this, but wasnt sure what to follow.

0 Kudos
erkpowell
Contributor
Contributor

I never did, I went ahead and upgraded to the 1TB and rebuilt it from a new OVA..

0 Kudos
erkpowell
Contributor
Contributor

Also, up the RAM from 4 to 8 helped my other issue of the backups being hung up at 92%..

0 Kudos
cshells
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for the update. I appreciate it. We are going to keep trying to find a solutions before we rebuild.

0 Kudos
Sebson
Contributor
Contributor

I run into same problem, with same error, after shutdown / power on

So solution is here:

1. enter root pw
  2. type: bash PRESS ENTER
  3. type: mount -n -o remount,rw / PRESS ENTER
  4. you will probably get some complaining and that you should check with: e2fsck
  5. type: e2fsck -y /dev/sda3 PRESS ENTER (it will check for error and answer yes for all fix errors) or you can use e2fsck -f -y /dev/sda3 (-f is for force check)
  6. press: CTRL+D twice, 1st for exit, 2nd for restart

After restart, everything should work ok.

If you still get some errors check /dev/sda1 & /dev/sda2 errors too.

ealaqqad
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Actually I have had the same problem today at one of my customers and it affected: vCSA, VDP Advanced, and quite few other linux appliances and VMs. I have documented what we have done to solve it including screenshots at: http://www.virtualizationteam.com/server-virtualization/vcenter-appliance-fsck-failed.html

I have followed the same procedure quoted by Sebson above and it worked for every one of those VMs. This issue was caused by a power outage at my customer, but it seems that it can happen any time a VM is none properly shut down.

Good Luck!

Eiad

Regards, Eiad Al-Aqqad Technology Consultant @ VMware b: http://www.VirtualizationTeam.com b: http://www.TSMGuru.com
0 Kudos
Blewis
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

This solved my issue!! Thank you

0 Kudos
dbutch1976
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi everyone,

I'm having almost the exact same issue, however the bash commands are not working for me, I believe because in addition to the other errors I'm getting I'm also receiving after I log in with the vCenter password:

[ERROR]:  Failed to connect to service.

Use service-control command to manage applmgmt service

Any additional suggestions?

Untitled.jpg

I have tried:

shell.set --enabled True

returns:

unknown command 'shell.set '

After reboot I sometimes get the screen below, which hangs there:

Untitled.jpg

0 Kudos
Mnemonic
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Did you try to just type shell?

0 Kudos
Mnemonic
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Do not remount before you run the disk repair!

You should not repair a filesystem mounted in readwrite mode.

0 Kudos
EddieMei
Contributor
Contributor

Hi I have same problem.

Did you have resolve it ?

0 Kudos
dbutch1976
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I did not fix it which is unfortunate because I had done a considerable amount of configuration on this vCenter.  Autodeploy rules, cluster settings, etc etc etc, all gone.

In answer to Brian's question, I don't believe I tried just typing 'shell' but I really don't recall.  I know when the vCenter 6 appliance is working that BASH needs to be enabled from within the console, I'm not sure if it will work without being enabled, but I'm very curious to know if anyone else has tried it.

I redeployed in the end and am worried I could experience this exact same issue again.

0 Kudos
Quentinn
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I managed to resolve this by KB VMware KB: VMware vCenter Server Appliance 5.5 root account locked out after password expiration untill step 10 to get the bash shell.

Once the Bash shell appeared after the reboot, I was able to follow the steps listed in this forum vCenter Appliance fsck failed and was able to boot into vCenter 6 Appliance successfully.

Cheers!

0 Kudos