VMware Cloud Community
m_crocker
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VDP failed backups and incorrect backup job information

I am guessing these are just some of the "quirks" of VDP 5.5.6.56 and being sorta free I am not expecting everything to run smoothly...but there are a couple of things I would like to see if they can be resolved. Below is a quick list of the issues encountered out of the gates...

1. Backup jobs scheduled times are not correctly reflected in the "next run time". Seems to get the date right but not the time. Edit again and refresh makes no difference. Jobs seem to start at the correct time but the GUI is displaying it incorrectly. VMware Tools is set to sync with the host for the VDP VMs, under configuration the correct date/time and timezone are shown and also checking the output from date command on the VDP box appears to be correctly set.

2. The backups of vCenter Servers running on Windows Server 2012 fail. However it says the last successful backup was OK in the reports in the bottom window frame after completing the backup job. I can restore the VM successfully, boots up no issues. Is this just a misrepresentation of the success/failure of the backup? Are there detailed logs on the VDP appliance?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
ankurgoyal01
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

I even faced the same problem, hence tried deleting and re-creating the backup Job.

It displayed the time correct, however next day it was the same. Checked the Time Configuration on the ESXi host and it was in Sync.

Logged in to the putty session:

Checked for any active backup using the command:

mccli activity show --active

No backups were running, hence stopped and started all the services using the below command and then rebooted the appliance

dpcntl stop all

dpnctl start all

reboot

There were some gsan errors which got fixed and there after the job is working fine as expected.

Regards

Ankur

0 Kudos
SavkoorSuhas
Expert
Expert

Possibly some issue with tomcat services? If MCS is out of sync with tomcat then the GUI would report one thing and the CLI would say the other.

Perhaps upgrade this to 6.1.x as they have newer java releases.

# Suhas

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or Correct buttons to award points.

Don't Backup. Go Forward!
Rubrik

0 Kudos