VMware Cloud Community
ArchParks
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VDP ends up dying at every site.....always have to rebuild.

Ive got the basic version of VDP running at three sites (Vsphere 5.5, VMware vCenter Server 5.5.0b, VCB 5.5). Without fail, after a moth or two, its quits running. Vsphere then gives four or more warnings like this:

• The ESX Host License does not permit usage of VDP and the 60 day evaluation period has ended.
  • Start Core services using the vSphere Data Protection Configuration Utility.
  • Start Backup Scheduler using the vSphere Data Protection Configuration Utility.
  • From the Configuration tab of the vSphere Data Protection user interface, click the All Actions icon and select 'Run integrity check'.

If I open the vdp-configure window, I have to manually start: core services, maintenance services, backup scheduler. Once I restart those services, it runs for a while. Then I reboot and nothing restarts unless I manually restart (the errors above pop up). In frustration, each time, I've just removed the install of VCB and made a new one.

Help!

Thanks!

Arch

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
GSparks
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Arch-

My guess is that the ESX host license is not valid or you may have a space in your vCenter password (see http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=204461...)

Or, if you have a vCloud Service Provider Standard License, then you would need to upgrade to VDP 5.5.x for this ESXi host license to be properly recognized.

Hope this helps,

Greg

-Greg Sparks
0 Kudos
ArchParks
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Greg:

Thanks for replying!

1. I've got a current vSphere 5 Essentials licence.
  2. I do not have a have a space in the vCenter password.
  3. I opened that KB article you mentioned and looked in this file: "/data01/cur/gsan.log"
    When I grepped for "licensevalidator" I got nothing but when I looked for the word "license". I got a bunch of hits that says this:
    "2014/02/08-16:03:34.15290 {0.0} [manage:3099]  gsankeyhash::readkeydata open failed /usr/local/avamar/etc/license.xml"
    "2014/02/08-15:57:37.39057 {0.0} [srvm-44155508#srv:2098]  syslog: msg=[XRROR: avmaint: license: server_exception(MSG_ERR_NOTAVAILABLE)] host=[blah.blahblah.blah] time =[Sat Feb  8 10:57:37 2014 EDT] build=[version=7.0.81-86 date=Nov  4 2013 23:17: 07 msg=13-10 SSL=TLSv1   OpenSSL 0.9.8r-fips 8 Feb 2011 Zlib=1.2.3 LZO=1.08 Jul 12 2002 platform=Linux S=SLES-64 Processor=x86_64]"
  4. I don't have vCloud Service Provider Standard License (never even hear of it until I read your post Smiley Happy)

Wait...I think I just answered my own question. Essential does not work with VDP...only essential plus?

Arch

0 Kudos