VMware Cloud Community
jjgrinwis
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VDP, can't connect anymore

We have been testing VDP in our LAB environment for some time, all running fine.

But all of a sudden we can't connect anymore via the web-client:

Screen Shot 2013-02-02 at 12.18.41 PM.png

As we wanted to install a bigger version anymore we removed the old vdp and and deregistered it in VC.

After deploying a new one and registering it with VC, we're still getting the same error. User root has all admin priv's and registering is going ok but we can't connect. A waring about the time but besides that the SSO is in UTC en VDP in CET time is exactly the same.

When loggin in as the same user and trying to connect to the appliance, we're seeing folloing stuff in vdr-server.log file.

Screen Shot 2013-02-02 at 12.28.30 PM.png

User root connecting and then some java errors.

Anyone any idea what might be wrong here.

Regards,

John Grinwis

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
IanBerg
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You make a point to say that the time is the same so you probably have already checked this but are the two servers using the same NTP server?  Can you configure the VDP appliance to use UTC to alleviate the possibility that the timezone matters?  I won't suggest that you change your SSO server because you must have a reason for running it in UTC when your VDP is in CET.  I understand that this error message is an umbrella for several conditions so you should check the usual suspects, time source and DNS lookups (forward and reverse, with and without domain suffix).

0 Kudos
jjgrinwis
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

We first set the TZ to UTC on the VDP and then rebooted our VC/SSO server, then everything was up and running again. :smileyconfused:

Next we set the VDP back to CET, we did a reconnect from the webclient to VDP and still working.

I noticed that time on the VC was a little bit behind as this VM was net set to sync time with the host.

So we changed the setting so this VM is now syncing it's time with the host and everything still working fine. Smiley Happy

So the UTC/ETC wasnt' an issue, maybe the time was a little bit out-of-sync between the SSO and VDP and first reboot fixed that.

But I'm still seeing some errors in my vdr-server.log:

2013-02-05 10:35:32,587 ERROR [Timer_vc]-vi.VCenterEventProcessor: collectEvents error (start-time=2013-02-02 09:44:18.975 end-time=<null> updated-last-processed-time=<null> total-events-received=0 total-events-collected=0 total-events-repeated=0)
java.rmi.RemoteException: Exception in WSClient.invoke:; nested exception is:
        java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Can not set [Ljava.lang.Object; field com.vmware.vim25.ArrayOfAnyType.anyType to [I

Regards,

John Grinwis

0 Kudos
IanBerg
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Problems like this are usually time sync but I was curious if it was also the timezone difference.  That appears not to be the problem.  If possible you could try using the same NTP server to prevent drift in the future.

0 Kudos