VMware Cloud Community
kevinE1979
Contributor
Contributor

VDP - backup status

Is there a way to see what the status of each running job in VDP is? I know you can see percent complete of the overall job but is there a way to see which machine is being backed up, which have already been backed up and which proxy it is currently using?

I have 6 jobs that back up about 100 virtual machines and the jobs just seem to sit at the same percentage for a long time. They also seem to take an incredibly long time to run.

10 Replies
dekoshal
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Log location:

/usr/local/avamarclient/var-proxy-x

2016-04-09 17:00:45 avvcbimage Info <0000>: Logging to /usr/local/avamarclient/var-proxy-8/Windows VMs-2000028812341-228c3603d60a5d988129677defb348da29645aeb-1017-vmimagew.log

If you see above file name is /usr/local/avamarclient/var-proxy-8/Windows VM-2000028812341-228c3603d60a5d988129677defb348da29645aeb-1017-vmimagew.log it contain info about Job ID

and which proxy is being used 

For more information please refer to :

http://cormachogan.com/2014/03/03/where-to-look-when-troubleshooting-vdpvdpa-backup-issues/

0 Kudos
kevinE1979
Contributor
Contributor

There isn't a folder for the proxy in /usr/local/avamarclient or /space/avamarclient

Any other suggestions?

0 Kudos
dekoshal
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Try this location /usr/local/avamarclient/var

0 Kudos
kevinE1979
Contributor
Contributor

No proxy folders in there either.

0 Kudos
dekoshal
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

What do you see in that folder?

can you post a screenshot.

0 Kudos
kevinE1979
Contributor
Contributor

vdp.PNG

0 Kudos
dekoshal
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

If external proxy is used the logs will be on the proxy machine under /usr/local/avamarclient/var

Login in to the https://vdp-ip:8543/vdp-configure page and verify if the external proxy is in a healthy state.

If unresponsive proxy is noticed click the gear icon and click Restart Proxy. Make sure all proxies are showing green tick.

0 Kudos
kevinE1979
Contributor
Contributor

Do I need to specify which proxy is used during each backup? I have multiple clusters at my main site which uses VDP. I have backup jobs for each cluster and a proxy deployed to each cluster since the clusters don't share datastores (example: ClusterA has Proxy1 and Datastores A,B and C along with my main VDP appliance; ClusterB has Proxy2 and Datastores D and E; ClusterC has Proxy3 and Proxy4 and Datastores F, G and H: ClusterA and ClusterB don't have access to Datastores F, G and H; ClusterB and ClusterC don't have access to Datastores A, B and C; etc.) Do I need to tell the backup the backs up VMs on ClusterC to use Proxy3 and/or Proxy4?

0 Kudos
dekoshal
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I don't think there is any configuration setting where you can specify which proxy will be used for each backup however if you want to double check on this you might want to open a service request with VMware.

Best Regards,

Deepak Koshal

CNE|CLA|CWMA|VCP4|VCP5|CCAH

0 Kudos
SavkoorSuhas
Expert
Expert

From the SSH run,

mccli activity show --active

This will show all the active running jobs with bytes progress

To refresh every 2 seconds:

watch -d mccli activity show --active

# Suhas

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or Correct buttons to award points.

Don't Backup. Go Forward!
Rubrik