VMware Cloud Community
DanieleFiore201
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

VDP and OES

Dear guys,

i'd like to backup up my OES VM (500GB) with VDP on a stand by host and the customer is asking to have a vm recovered in 3 hours.

I was thinking about a full backup and incremental backups every 2 hours.

How long do you think the restore would take (the 2 hosts are in the same network) and do you think having an incremental backup every 2 hours is ok?

Many thanks in advance for your help.

Daniele

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
snekkalapudi
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

If you have enough disk space..2TB appliance with (thick provisioning) should give better performance

Otherwise you can still deploy 2TB appliance but choose thin provisioning.

Yes. VM backups will be stored into the appliance disks.

-Suresh

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
snekkalapudi
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi Daniele,

I can suggest 2 options.

Option-1 (Deploy VDP on the same host as your OES VM)

• Pros: Faster backup & recovery as VDP avoids backup through network here
  • Cons: Single point of failure (If your host fails, everything is gone). But you are still good here only if your OES VM is corrupted/data loss and you can recover from VDP

Option-2 (Deploy VDP on stand by host)

• Depending on your network bandwidth backup/recovery of  this may take a bit longer than Option-1
  • But you have a protection even if the primary host (OES VM hosting one) is totally down.

If you are choosing Option-2, I can think of implementing Option-1 as well (mix of both)

Backup/Recovery time of your OES VM(500 GB) depends on the actual data. Disk size may be 500 GB but what matters is the actual size of content/data

I would do a full backup first and then choose the incremental as per my business need.(As per your setup, 2 hours should be fine)

-Suresh
0 Kudos
DanieleFiore201
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hello Thanks for fast answer.

I need to place VDP on the stand by host as i need to protect the VM against a host failure.

So if i download the 2 TB appliance and i place it on the stand by host do you think i'm fine ?

i need to know if the vcenter is involved in the backups\restores as the 2 hosts are in a remote location than the vcenter and i cannot occupy the full bandwidth.

Can you help me ?

0 Kudos
snekkalapudi
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

VDP is tightly coupled with vCenter. Your OES VM and VDP should be in the same inventory of a vCenter. Means that you will have to add both the hosts to a single VC to perform backup/restore.

But understanding your concern,

I would choose a mix of both option-1 & option-2 from above reference

with option-1 (schedule multiple backups per day)

with option-2 (schedule it once in a day in non-peak business hours to avoid your network traffic)

-Suresh
DanieleFiore201
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

i'm forced to use option 2 as i need to guarantee the VM is back online on the 2nd failover host.

So i must keep the VDP on the 2nd host.

Or can i deploy 2 x VDPs and i copy the data over the night between the 2 VDPs?

0 Kudos
DanieleFiore201
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

in addition : i have 1 vcenter and it will stay in that inventory but i need to be 100% sure the backup data and no other traffic is going to the vcenter.

0 Kudos
snekkalapudi
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

If you have VDP-A (Advanced) then you can replicate data from 1 VDP-A appliance to another. But base version of VDP do not offer that feature.

Yes ..do the first FULL backup back during non-peak hours and further incremental backups should not take much time

-Suresh
DanieleFiore201
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

i have downloaded the 2 TB ova ? is that ok ? does it mean that the VM backups will be stored into the VDP appliance disks ?

or shall i download the 500 GB appliance ?

0 Kudos
snekkalapudi
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

If you have enough disk space..2TB appliance with (thick provisioning) should give better performance

Otherwise you can still deploy 2TB appliance but choose thin provisioning.

Yes. VM backups will be stored into the appliance disks.

-Suresh
0 Kudos